Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Needed Urgently

Status
Not open for further replies.

sysfix

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2008
GB
HI - im on a project and ive hit am obstacle -
all pcs are plugged into a switch plus an internet link provided on rj45 plugged into switch
all ive been giben is the ip address and subnetmask and gateway for the internet link.

How do I configure the machines up in terms of ip.

the subnet mask is 255.255.255.252

i tired 192.168.0.x and i couldnt use the internet.
Im sure there is a step i need to do but ive never done this before. Can anyone help....

You need a router of some sort for the WAN (public IP) and the other end of the router plugs into the switch, where the LAN (private IP pool) is configured. This is called NAT, and you need this because you have a point-to-point link for the WAN, giving the provider one and you one of two useable IP addresses in that public block (255.255.255.252 renders only two useable IP adresses).

Burt

Thanks for that - Yes thats what I though - so I went out to buy a router and have since got connectivity "in a fashion"

I have a cisco 2960 Brand new out of the box and a cable going to port 1 on the switch to port 1 on the router.
However any PC plugged into the switch cannot get an IP address. Plug into the router directly and you get one.

Any Ideas?

its a netgear router wgt624 plugged into a 2600 switch TTL

thanks everyone for your help - im up and running - always remember to assign an IP to the switch and the gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back