Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Needed to upgrade program!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ftlop

Technical User
Jun 26, 2002
ZA
Members of this Forum.

I am not a programmer and my knowledge of programs is limited to the use of it. As such, we have a program written for us some years ago in FoxPro2.6. The source code is not available as the programmer immigrated and can not be found.

We are having dificulties with the program as we can not get it to run on any system that has win98 and up.

A challenge is put here to all the experts. Is there any FoxPro experts out there that can reverse engineer the program and perhaps - "upgrade" to VB???

The author was a guy called Philip Israel who might be looking in to this forum from time to time. Even he could make contact, please.....

Regards all

You should check into an app called ReFox from Halllogram:

Granted, you will have to hire someone to do the works and fixes, but unless you post a more specific problem, there's not much more help we can offer.

Dave S.

There are a number of people like myself who are available to help you out.

As Dave (DSummZZZ) suggests we will need to de-compile what you have so that we can get things back to source code in order to make changes. And, yes, this will require the use of ReFox.

Also as Dave suggests anyone you hire will need to have detailed information on what it is that you want changed.

Let us know how or if you want help.

Good Luck,
jrbbldr
jrbbldr@Yahoo.com

Hello,

The main problem is the speed of the processor.
Slow it down a bit, using some known built programms (try to search them on the net) of try to let me know the errors you've encountered on your new machines.

I'm Bogdan Haraga
Romania

I have Refox & can migrate to VFP. If you legally own the application I would be happy to help you. I just decompiled a huge commercial application about a year ago.

Cheerio

mouellette@compuserve.com
Michael Ouellette
mouellette@compuserve.com

Hi,

Michael stated a key issue here: do you _legally_ own the application code? Does the license agreement you signed grant you the rights to the code?
I know our license agreement specifically FORBIDS the decompiling/reverse engineering of applications we write, even if it is a customised application written specifcally for one client.
Unless you have a specific agreement with the original programmer, granting you the rights of the source code, you will have to buy a new application.
I agree that sounds harsh, as you made an investment in the past, but the main reasoning is that the company or the programmer as author(s) retain the rights to the original source code.
Otherwise, what would stop someone from buying one copy of an application, de-compiling/re-compiling it, slapping a new name on it, and selling it as their own, without having invested in all the years it takes in training, studying, polishing the existing code, adding new functionality, etc.?

Just my 2 euro-cents,

Jan Schenkel.

"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish at the same time." (De Rochefoucald)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back