Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help needed to join a few text strings

Status
Not open for further replies.

max5000

Programmer
Jun 24, 2005
CA
Hi,

Mercator 6.7
850 version 4010 tree.

I'm having an issue joining text strings today.
Here is what I want to do. In the N3 segment, there is an address info element, that can have 1 or 2 occurences.

I am dealing with data that has 2 occurences.
I need to map both occurences into one string, separated by a space. I also need to make sure that I am extracting the correct address, ie the "ST" type.
This is what I have

=EXTRACT(AddressInfo Element[1]:N3 Segment:LoopN1_1:Transaction #850 Inbound Partner Set V4010:Source, EntityIDCd Element:N1 Segment:LoopN1_1:Transaction #850 Inbound Partner Set V4010:Source = "ST" ) + EXTRACT(AddressInfo Element[2]:N3 Segment:LoopN1_1:Transaction #850 Inbound Partner Set V4010:Source, EntityIDCd Element:N1 Segment:LoopN1_1:Transaction #850 Inbound Partner Set V4010:Source = "ST" )

This actualy works, gets both pieces of data, for the correct ST address. However, when I add a space between them, all I get is the space, and no data.

This is what I want, but does not work

=EXTRACT(AddressInfo Element[1]:N3 Segment:LoopN1_1:Transaction #850 Inbound Partner Set V4010:Source, EntityIDCd Element:N1 Segment:LoopN1_1:Transaction #850 Inbound Partner Set V4010:Source = "ST" ) + " " + EXTRACT(AddressInfo Element[2]:N3 Segment:LoopN1_1:Transaction #850 Inbound Partner Set V4010:Source, EntityIDCd Element:N1 Segment:LoopN1_1:Transaction #850 Inbound Partner Set V4010:Source = "ST" )

Putting is the extra space seems to blow the rest of the data away.

Is there a way to make this work, or is there a better way to accomplish the same thing.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Max

Try encapsulating the two extracts clauses with a TEXT(), and see if this solves your problem. It may be different data types that is your problem.

You also may wish to try using a "|" instead of a space, and then substituting it with a space ... if option one does not work.

;)

Are you using 6.7 or 6.7.1? If 6.7 it's probably a bug. You should upgrade to 6.7.1 or 7.5.1.

Problem solved,

Thanks for the replys guys!

janhes, it's version 6.7, and yes I think it probably is a bug. I think the code should have worked as is.

I did try encapsulating with TEXT(), and I also tried using "<sp>" instead of " ".

I spoke to Ascential Support and this was their solution.
By calling a functional map, and using the two EXTRACT statements as argumants. Then I joined the the two input parameters like this
=In1 + "<sp>" + In2
and this works as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back