Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help needed setting up email via outlook 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

projector1

Technical User
Mar 18, 2004
GB
Hi
I have bought a domain name and with it i get email.
I want to set up thsi to work via outlook express. I want the following accounts
sales@domain.com
info@domain.com
accounts@domian.com

How do i set outlook so that when a email is sent to info it goes to pc1, sales to go to pc2 and accounts to goto pc3.
I have a simple 3 pc peer to peer network consisting of 2 xp home pcs and one me laptop.
thanks

It depends whether or not you are actually getting 3 mailboxes or 3 emails adresses.

If it's 3 mailboxes then it's a sinch! Just create the seperate mail profiles on the individual PC's, using the relevant POP, SMTP, username, and email values.

If it's one mailbox and 3 adresses, then it would be as neat.

the POP, SMTP are the same, so does thsi mean i will not be able to do what i planned?

The pop and smtp values would be the same as it is the same provider. You need to know from your provider if it is 3 mail boxes you are getting or just the addresses as Paul suggested.

If they are just addresses than you will only be able to forward these to another email address.

However as you have received both pop and smtp servers from the provider we'll assume that you are getting mail boxes.

From Outlook Express do as this site suggest, making sure that you enter your own details instead of the onscreen ones. Do this on each machine but only enter the details for the email address you want setting up for each machine.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

hi
thanks for the feedback.
I setup the accounts on the three pc's via the wizard. What happens is when which every pc checks for emails, they recieve all emails sent the the domain @domain.com, i thought if i set up the mail account of sales on a pc it would only collect mail sent to sales@domain.com.

I contacted the provider and was told we only have a mailbox.
Is there a way forwarding the emails to the right pc or would i have to splash out on more mail boxes. This is not really my subject so i am struggling here abit
thanks

If you only have 1 mailbox that accepts all addresses for your domain you can sort messages to particular computers using OE's mail rules. For more specifics with OE's mail rules, forum605 would be the place to start a new thread.

You could set up a rule, so that the mail sent to one or more of the addresses can be forwarded to another mail address. There fore spliting the mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back