Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help needed registering or deploying .cab or .OCX files!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2000
US
I need some serious help registering an .ocx file that's contained inside of a .cab file. This .cab file updates a web based banking application and contains the following three files:
a9sil.exe
jwalkx.inf
jwalkx.ocx <--- HELP!!!

Right now when the XP SP2 users click the icon that points to the URL they're notified that the JWalk.ocx Active-X component needs to be installed. The problem is that there's a corporate policy in place to prevent users from downloading any controls so I need to suppress this and have it to install silently and/or without anyuser intervention. I see where this is possible via group policy but only if it's an .msi file. I'm familiar with using the SMS installer to create executable but haven't been able to figure out how to register files. ould anyone know how to do this? I'd appreciate any quick responses.

Did it work?
Batch file to register the component (OCX)

Neil J Cotton
UCLan Ba-SYS Development and Project Manager
NJC Technical Productions
Software Development | Network Consultancy | Wireless Network Provissions
Member of the IETF CAPWAP Work Group

Nope! Users either still get prompted about the activex control or the page go aways when launched. I suck at batch files and wonder if anyone have any they'd care to share. From there I could possible deploy it via SMS?

Thanks

I take it that you can just distribute the ocx file as you would a normal "with source" distribution, and run the command line

"regsvr32 /s myfile.ocx" (the s is for silent install)

Try that. Let me know how it goes.

Neil J Cotton
Software Development | Network Consultancy | Wireless Network Provissions

Turns out the problem had more to do with the pop-up blocker settings than with the actual .ocx file. The XPSP2 pop-up blocker was preventing the URL from launching so to test and confirm I disabled the pop-up management group policy. Users are now able to lauch the site as they should. I have this URL added to my pop-up allow list but for some reason it doesn't work, or resolve this URL, so my task now is figuring out how to get this URL resolved and turn my pop-up management policy back on.
Thanks for the responses.

is the URL a forward. Try getting the IP address of the site, and add that. You'll probably find that the actual thing that is be blocked may be coming from a slightly different location, not the exact URL. Netstat might help.

Neil J Cotton
Software Development | Network Consultancy | Wireless Network Provissions | Wanna-be SMS Guru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back