Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help needed badly with hp psc 2210 and usb print server 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ras262

MIS
Jan 23, 2004
US
Hello all. I am in need of help on this. I have an hp psc 2210 (its one of those all in one units that has a flatbed scanner on top. ) I am really trying to get the darn thing to work along with a linksys pps1uw usb print server. I have my print server showing up on the network fine.. pings well .. its fine. the problem i am having is that I am unable to set the hp psc 2210 up as a network printer. i am unable to get that single .INF file that it needs to set up as a printer. Also even though I can ping the print server and it shows up in the "bi-admin" utility, i am unable to see the print server on the net when i try and install a printer on it. My questions are a) can these hp psc 2210's even be put on as a network printer? and b) is there just a basic driver for the thing(you know like the good old days when you knew that the driver for the hp lj4plus was the same used in the hp lj4si.. :)) I would appreciate any and all help.
Many thanks in advance....

I feel your pain - though not quite as severely.

I have a psc 1210 directly attached to a Windows XP computer. The software installation went fine and it's shared out to the network. The networked XP and 2K computers pick up the driver inf file and install fine. The Win98 machines will not install no matter how I try to force it (and I've tried every .inf file on the cd).

I'm not familiar with your print server, but I suspect it's tying to behave like my 98 machines instead of the xp/2k machines.

Sorry that doesn't help you, just thout I'd share [wink]

Step I: Create a temporary partition on the server with Windows 98 or Me on it. You can use partition magic and then install windows and the printer driver.

Step II: On the client browse the neighboorhood and select the printer and windows will install automatically the network driver.

Step III: delete the temporary partition from the server (or shrink it and only boot it when you need to install the driver).

Note: HP should be ashamed of not including the proper INF file, this is basic stuff. Maybe they don't want people to install the 1MB printer driver without the other 171MB of junk.

RAS262,

I have your exact same problem. Home network with nothing but laptops, so tying one down to be a dedicated print server makes no sense. We use the fax and copy functions, but seldom need to scan or use the card readers, and we just plug in directly if we do.

I'm using a D-Link DP-300U (2 Parallel, 1 USB). Both printers on the parallel ports (HP4L, HP3310) work flawlessly. None installed per the D-Link manual (under W2K), I had to force the printer install, then go back and change the TCP/IP port manually.

I got the 2210 sort-of working by selecting an HP driver included with W2K (maybe the HP612 or something?). It would print, but many glitches. I tried a couple others, but got similar results. I actually removed the 2210 driver as it has an annoying habit of making itself the default printer, even though I reset the 3310 after each attempt. It also "whines" persistently when it can't find the printer on the USB port. Not very laptop friendly.

HP should be ashamed. For a company that was built on innovation and forward thinking, this would not seem typical. My guess is this is a result of a dumb-down marketing approach targeted at the average consumer who doesn't have home network. Dang marketeers.

Aside from zero-flexibility driver, we love the 2210. Printing and scanning quality are great and the fax is pretty easy to use.

Please post if you find a solution. I will do likewise.

-Brad

1. install hp psc 2210 at Windows 98 computer (1st PC)
2. shut down Win98 computer
3. tranport the same hp psc 2210 printer at Windows XP and install it (2nd PC)
4. share hp psc 2210 printer from Windows XP
5. read and keep in mind Share name from Printers and Faxes-> hp psc 2210 series->hp psc 2210 Properties-> Sharing
6. load Windows 98 (1st PC)
7. in hp psc 2210 series Properties (1st PC), in Details, update the option "Print to the following port":
\\name-2nd PC\Share name for option "Print using the following driver: hp psc2210 series
8. apply, ok
Right now print test page from 1st PC (Win98) on the printer installed on 2nd PC (XP)
V.

I first had the problem with my millenium machine with hp 2210 usb software and Kodak digi camera usb software . The printer wouldnt work . The me machine is a pc at my modem/router location ( roadrunner ). My xp machine is a laptop wireless through a pcmcia card . I can't seem to get the laptop to share the printer. The pc is on and I think my problem is with the "port" that it is supposed to share through ???? I've tried a couple different ones. Any ideas ??? thanks

Update. A friend of mine informed me that the HP Deskjet 990 printer driver is similar to the 2210 and works for printing in normal and best quality, but not fast mode. If you don't have the driver, you can get it from the hp website. I downloaded the terminal services client version, which has the much-sought-after .INF file. It works great in all but fast mode. I'm told the 990 driver is included with XP, so if that's your OS, you may be able to skip the downloading.

Here's what I did under W2K
1. Select the add printer to start the wizard
2. Select local printer
3. Under ports, select "create new"
4. Scroll down to select Standard TCP/IP port
5. Enter the IP address of the print server
6. On the driver screen, select "have disk" and browse to directory with unzipped 990 files, select INF file.
7. Changer printer name to "2210" so you know what it really is. Finish as normal.
8. I had to go back and edit the port properties, change the protocol to LPR, and enter the funky queue name listed in my print server manual (I have a D-Link DP300U).

Works great for me, hope you have good luck as well.

-Brad

Has anyone else been able to rectify this issue easily?

My problem is closest to SMAH's description. I previously had three Win '98 machines (2 DT, 1 LAP) set up on a very simplistic D-Link 4-port Eternet router connected to a cable modem. I had my HP PSC 2210 all-in-one unit connected to 1 of the three computers, and the other two just always printed right to it... no issues.

I got a new pc to REPLACE 1 of the original 3. The new machine has XP PRO. The new pc obviously required me to install the drivers from the original CD (which I still have) and it works great... but the 2 remaining 98 machines only SEE it; they can't PRINT to it... which really is the key to being able to network a printer. Anyone can SEE printers, the key is being able to PRINT to one. (Sorry, had a Seinfeld moment)

Any help is appreciated! And I just found this forum / site today. Looks like a great one!

It's hard to blame this on hp when it's a Windows issue. I have an AirPort wireless network and did absolutely nothing except plug the printer into the AirPort Base Station USB port. I was then able to print without any problems using a Mac and OS X.

OK, for anyone that night still be having trouble with home networking an HP PSC series printer on a USB port of an XP machine and printing to it from a 98 machine, here is how I ultimately resolved the issue. (I swear I've tried this already, but it's working, so whatever!)

Once the printer is working on the XP machine...
* Go into the Printers and Faxes section in COntrol Panel
* Right-click the HP PSC #### and select SHARING
* Click the Additional Drivers button
* Place a check mark next to Win 95, 98, ME
* It will prompt you for the HP drivers
* Insert your CD and, using the BROWSE button,
POINT IT TO THE FOLLOWING DIRECTORY:
CD-ROM:\enu\drivers\win9x_me* Let it install the drivers for the 98 OS
* Go back into the printer SHARING properties and
give it a SHARE NAME
* Close all Printer settings windows, etc.
* On the Win 98 machine, Start, Settings, Printers
* Add New Printer, Next, Network, Next
* DO NOT CLICK BROWSE AT THIS POINT
* I'M SERIOUS, IT WILL ONLY ANNOY YOU
* ALSO, MAKE SURE THE PRINTER IS NOT IN POWER SAVE MODE
You want it's staus to be READY, showing DATE / TIME
The 98 machine WILL NOT see it if it's in POWER SAVE
and it will TRY to find it for 3 minutes before failing
* MANUALLY enter the network path to the printer
\\<computer name>\<share name>
* Click Next and continue with Win 98 driver installation
* Print test page
* Get glass of vodka and celebrate!

Congrats MirSkyB, thanks for sharing the solution. I will give this a test sometime this week. My problem went away before the cure was found - salesmen are really tough on laptops that they don't like. The win98 machine that I mentioned earlier was replaced with a new one that, of course, had XP.

I've also had the same problem tyring to add the PSC 2210 printer onto a nework server...couldn't find a driver on the disk that would work. So, I sent HP Tech Support the following email:

I have PSC 2210 All In One Series printer
connected to my desktop thru a D-link print server. When the add a
printer setup in Windows XP asks me for the print driver, I cannot
locate one on the setup CD that came with the printer. I have read
other people have ran into this same problem. Is there any solution to
this issue or is there another driver that I may use which will let the
PSC 2210 printer be functional on a wireless home network? Thanks for
the help.

And this is the reply I received:

Dear Karl,

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

I understand that you are experiencing problem while installing the HP
PSC 2210 all-in-one over the wireless network and require the drivers to
install in Windows XP.

To install the HP PSC 2210 all-in-one over wireless network, download
and install the corporate drivers from the following URL:

Copy the URL starting from "http:" till "XP&tech=" and paste in the
address box of the browser, then press Enter Key.

or

The above drivers support for wireless network also, you can go ahead
and install the drivers.

I hope this helps you resolve the issue. If you need further
assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist
you further.

Sincerely,

Abby
HP Total Care

I actually went to the site they referenced and downloaded and installed the file. It actually installs a new printer in the Windows XP Printer select window while running add a printer, which is named HP Business Inkjet 2200/2250 (HPA). I selected that printer and it installed and the printer now works fine. Hope this helps.

MirskyB (TechnicalUser)... thanks for the assist; however, is there a way to move the printer pathway to a printserver instead of a PC?

I have 3 PCs networked through a Linksys 4-port router to a Linksys 4-port print server (which is connected to an HP PSC 2210). Two of the PCs are using XP and are printing fine; however, both are laptops and are not always around. The one I'm working on is running ME.

I have already created a printer server port and attempted to redirect the \\PCNAME\\SHAREDPRINTER path to the print server path, but cannot print a test page.

What additional information can I provide to obtain a favorable result?

ANYONE?

Note for Smah ----- I have a HP PSC 1210, can get to it over the wireless network, log into the web utility. When I hook the printer onto the printserver, don't see the ACT led lightup. And the printer status shows offline. Linksys says the printer is not supported. But you have it working ? Any special configs?

Thanks

I have the 1210 connected directly to an XP Pro computer; not a print server.

thanks smah, just re-read your post. i did a google for psc1210 and the printserver and your post popped up. linksys says the printserver is not compatible with my printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back