Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Need to read Unix DAT on PC - software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emceebray

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2000
US
Help! I need to read a UNIX DAT from a PC. Does anybody know of a utility for this? Unix to DOS, Unix to Windows...?

Thanks! [sig]<p>Michael C. Bray<br><a href=mailto:emceebray@bigfoot.com>emceebray@bigfoot.com</a><br><a href= Reference</a><br>[/sig]

How about being more specific? Have transferred data both ways using msdos and gwbasic but you need to know your data as to values and field lengths.
You also have to have the transfer capability or late 5.0.x to mount a dos filesystem.
And what do you want to come out of the transfer?
Will be best if you also tell what hardware you have available. [sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>
[/sig]

A SCSI solution to your problem is WinTar-SCSI from Spiralcom Communications Inc. I have tried the shareware version on a generated tar tape on a HP35480/IBM-SCSI Sun Microsystems Sparc workstation with no problems. My Windoze system is a P-166 with Win4.10.98 They also have a Remote version available but have not tried. I found the download but forgot the site name. I'm sure a search should guide you to the http/ftp site.
I also found WinUnix which provides many of the unix commands to do usefull work in mixed systems.

Bob
tsystems@altavista.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back