Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! NAV keep closing itself????

Status
Not open for further replies.

cellarboy

Technical User
Apr 5, 2002
GB
I've been using NAV2002 for some time with no problems. But in the last couple of days it's been closing about 30 seconds after loading up. I mean, it's been unloading not crashing. This has been preventing me from collecting my email in Outlook, as it starts to collect then stops as soon a NAV closes. When this happens, the only soloution I've found is to restart my PC, then it reloads NAV, but it still unloads after a short time again. Even if I run the NAV main program manually it only stays loaded for about 30 seconds.
I've even reinstalled NAV and updated it via Live Update, but it's still happening.

Does anyone have any ideas???

I'm running Win98se and Outlook 2000 plus I keep everything else updated (IE6 etc).

First lets try to narrow down the problem. Lets disable the email scanning and see if the program stays running. This will help determine what may need to be done.

Let us know [thumbsup]
Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

OK, I've disabled email scanning so I can recieve my emails, but the NAV program still shuts down after around 30 seconds. Bizzare! Any ideas?

Ok, Did you have NAV set to start when the machine boots up? If so, remove it from your startup folder (if there) or set the software to not load at startup. This will determine if there is a timing conflict when loading.

Let me know what happens.
Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

I'll check that and get back to you, thanks.

Ok, I've now disabled the 'Start When Windows Starts' option and the 'Enable Auto-Protect' option... rebooted and I'm still having trouble with it closing.
I have recently upgraded my ICQ, do you thing this could be causing any problems?

Update: I've just disabled ICQ, but to no effect.

Did your machine ever have a demo version of NAV on it that was "upgraded" to a full version by using a cracking program? If it has then you will need to edit your registry to clean that out. Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

Unfortunatly, this is not the answer...
The program is not being used with a crack and was installed from CD. I has been working fine for about 6 months prior to this problem. It's also still working fine on another PC I have. Strange, don't you think?

Yeah, Its real strange. The only thing I can think of doing at this point would be to uninstall the software and then run System Mechanic to clean the registry. You can download a 30 day demo version of System Mechanic off of the net, just run a search to find the web site.
Once its been cleaned try reinstalling and see if it picked up something in the registry.

Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

Thanks, I'll give that a try and let you know the outcome.

Have you run a scan lately? Might do well to update and run a scan as W32/Klez.H@MM disables AV programs on infected machines. Give it a shot.

AVChap

This happened me before it was a virus in a .scr format. I used Windows XP system restore feature and it worked. I did'nt try anything else.

This happened me before it was a virus in a .scr format. I used Windows XP system restore feature and it worked. I did'nt try anything else.

Ok, but I'm using Win98.

Anyway, I've tried deleting all .scr then ran Norton AV Online Scan ('cos the program version won't work) and it finds no viruses. So I re-install Norton AV and low and behold it closes it's self once again, I'm at my wit's end! HEEEEEELLLLLPPPP!!!!! ;-)

I've seen something similar with Mcafee. After doing an upgrade on the engine it would shut down within 10-20 seconds. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling same results. What was happening was the uninstall process was leaving behind a rogue vxd file and this is what caused the shutdown. Try an uninstall and then do a search on vxd's. Most likely you will find one that relates to NAV. delete and reinstall

Thanks to everyone who tried to help, but I've now reformatted my HD and upgraded to XP. Problem solved! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back