Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help, my machine isn't supported ó¿ò 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobaltikus

Technical User
Apr 15, 2004
US
Is there a different version of Linux that I could use that might be compatible with this '96 machine?

I am trying to install Red Hat Linux 9 on a Compaq Presario 4716 with 32MB of RAM. After choosing all my installation options and passwords and reformat the hard drive, I get this error message. "You are trying to install on a machine that isn't supported by this version of Red Hat Linux" Then it reboots and my Windows 98 is gone (since it waited until after the disk was reformatted to let me in on this news). I have tried different install methods like "linux mem=32M noprobe skipddc lowres" and other combinations and even put a nicer hard drive in it with no luck.

I suggest you throw out the baby and keep the bath water. A lot of linux distros had a problem with Compaq and others that used the K6 cpu. The installer is very memory intensive and it is not up to the task. It has something to do with the way it uses onboard memory (memory on the cpu itself). Some people have had luck by going into bios setup and disabling the onboard cache. Another ugly work around was to install an older version of linux and step through the upgrades. I've heard rumors that mandrake had no problem with K6 but being a RedHat guy, I wouldn't know.

Thank you RhythmAce, you've been very helpful. I have a few more questions if you or someone else would like to give some input.

1. If I install mandrake with no problems, would I be able to switch to RedHat without my current installation problems? or would it be the same?
2. If I have a better chance at running RedHat by the upgrade process, I'd like to start with that method first. Do you know which version I should start with?
3. Another option I thought of that I would be able to do is to put my hard drive in a different PC, install RedHat 9 completely, and then just put the hard drive back in my Compaq. Do you think that might work?

Anyway, thanks again. Even if RedHat wont work at all, at least I now have more options to consider.

Allow me to inject some blind Debian zealotry here.

If you have a network card, go for the Debian netinstall (grab the iso from debian.org, it's about 40MB, or whole stage 1 is about 130MB). That's what I did for my P166 laptop. The installer didn't beat up my 56MB of ram too bad, ran along smooth enough.

----
JBR

Thanks flugh, I'll try that as soon as I get home.

flugh, it is asking me what my architecture is. ó¿ò I don't know what that means.

How do i determine my architecture in order to choose my version of debian?

TIA - from a guy who don't know jack (it seems like sometimes)

Linux distros come in different flavors depending on which cpu you have. For example, the usual choices are Alpha, Intel and Sparc. I think since AMD is a close cousin to intel, ;-) you would choose Intel or i386.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back