Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP..my lacie hard drive has bombed and I gotta get it back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spurtiss

Technical User
Mar 6, 2004
US
Hi

I got a lacie external drive. Hooked it to my imac, copied all my files to it 56gb (1 year of files). I reformatted my imac osx. Erased my imac drive, reinstalled mac software, hocked up the lacie drive and copied a few files, it was working good. Then I was searching for a file on the lacie drive an it was stuck thinking for almost an hour. I than force a restart on my imac. Now the lacie drive is unmountable. I can't mount on any computer.

Can you help me get my data back? Or suggestions on mounting it. I tried mac utlilities and norton.

Lacie said, since the drive is only 3 days they would be happy to replace it but can't help with the data.

PLEASE help

If it happens to be one of the dual Firewire/USB types, try plugging it in via the USB port. If it mounts, transfer everything to the mac drive. It will take a long time via USB.

Other than that, you might need to get a local data recovery service.

If you erased the local drive, did you update the OS with all patches? Some OS revisions repaired issues with external drives.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Have you tried mounting to any PCs?
I once had this same exact problem with an external drive. It would no longer mount on macs (disk utility would always hang, never showed up in finder, etc) but it worked fine on a winXP PC. To get it to actually mount again on the mac, I had to copy a file to it from the PC first and then reconnect to the mac. Really strange, but it did work again.

are you using mac os10.3.9 then i have recently had the same problem, i tried diskwarior and had no luck. when you get it sorted out please tell me how you did thanks

Spanishfleee:

If you downloaded and installed the upgrade with your firewire drive attached and on, you might have lost its firewire connectivity. Apple recommends detaching any firewire drives before installing upgrades. I lost one with one upgrade. Luckily, it was dual USB/Firewire so it mounted and worked under USB.

Using OSX 10.3.8 on a G4

thanks. i wondered if it was the OS because it happened on my G5 Imac and my older G4 just days after, i have sent it back and apple refuse to refund me. but anyway thanks for your help i will remember that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back