Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help MTA problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

freaktechnique

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2003
US
Hey all,

I have exchange 5.5 sp4 running on nt4 sp6a.

The setup is logs on c: and dbs d:. The problem is the dbs grew 500M in 3 days and I didn't notice. Now there is 5.4M free on d: and the MTA service stopped itself and won't restart. I can't run optimizer to move the dbs because it gets an error when polling the d drive.

I have tried deleting email but the db doesn't free up the drive space when the mail disappears.

My idea is to stop the other services and manually move the dir.edb to c: then with the freespace available I am hoping optimizer will start so I can then properly move the dir.edb to c:

What I am wondering is will optimizer run if it doesn't find the dir.edb where it expects it. If it does open can I move the dir.edb when it is not there. And is it possiable that I will completely destroy exchange by doing this.

Any input will be appreciated, I am screwed right now.

I have backups and can wax the server, reinstall exchange, setup the dbs properly and perform a complete restore but I figure that is a last resort.

Hi!
I am thinking about an old trick:
Can you add a new bigger hard drive. Partition it, format it, stop all the exchange services (I am sure that you already have moved the swap file to c: if it was on d:) and give the letter D: to the new partition and some other letter to the original D: partition.
Then copy everything to the new partition.
Reboot and see what happens.

Didocus

Okay, 1 problem solved.

I manually moved the dir.edb to c: and edited the registry key "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeDS\Parameters" to reflect the change rebooted and it came up.

The problem now is that only freed up 1G on d: so the problem will eventually happen again.

That sounds like it would work didocus. If I can just find some bigger drives, I am sure I will not get approval to buy any.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back