Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Moving Records To New Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubianqueen

Technical User
Apr 16, 2002
US
I have a table called Policy Titles.The user wants to delete a title when it's no longer in use, so the title number can be reused.As the designer I feel no record should be deleted but just made inactive. There is still the issue of reusing the title numbers.
I thought I could use a make-table query to move inactive titles, but found out that each time the query is run it will wirte over existing records.
Is there some other way to handle this issue or am I going about it all wrong?
Any help or suggestions would be great.
Thanks
nubianqueen

Hi Nubia,

My usual starting position on issues like this is to add a field called status, limited to active or inactive. This will permit master and related records to stay where they are and you can explain that title numbers cannot be reused.

Then by using queries for regular use you can display only active records on your forms and reports.

Is title number reuse a major issue for some reason?

Hope this helps,

alr

Yes alr,
reuse of title number is important to the user because there are currently 300 active policy titles and if numbers are not reused it could get 3 times that size.
I already have a field in my table called STATUS.
Guess i'm just searching for other ideas.
Thanks,
nubianqueen

Why does it matter if there are 3x the number of records in the table? 900 records in a table is almost nothing!

There is an APPEND Query that would add the record to a table instead of erasing the old table.

I believe the append query is what will work.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back