Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP!!!! Moving data from one database..table to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

smileydba

Programmer
Jun 21, 2005
US
Ok, My issue is that, I want to move data from the old database..table to my new database. the problem Im running into is that, I need to create a script that compares the two tables from the two databases, and based on that, if there is a match, dont do anything, but if there isent a match, then add that record. Below is the code I already done, but it dosent really want to do much.

declare @IDCnt int (30)
declare @ID int (30)

Select *
From test1..item
Group By itemlookupcode

Set @IDcnt = 'Select Count(itemlookupcode) From test1..item'
Set @ID = 'Select Min(itemlookupcode) From test1..item'

While @IDcnt <> 0
BEGIN
Insert Into test2..item
Select TOP itemlookupcode from test1..item where itemlookupcode = @ID

update From test1..item where itemlookupcode = @ID
Set @IDcnt = Select Count(*) From test1..item END

So basically, I want to move data from the old database..table to the new database..table when there is new data.
If you have a idea, please tell me what I can improve on. Im a newbie on the TSQL. Thank you so much.,

Rob W.

And if someone mentions BCP, please enlighten me on what I need to add to make it work.

Rob W.

If you want to insert all rows missing in the new table from the old table then use something like

Code:
insert into NewTable
select a.* 
from Olddb..OldTable a
left outer join NewTable b
on (a.id = b.id)
where b.id is null

PS: Similar thread already answered, check it out.
thread183-1081974

Regards,
AA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back