Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP!: Metrologic MS9540 Voyager USB Barcode Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

niagaracycle

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2005
US
How do I get the MS9540 USB to communicate with Quickbooks POS 4.0 Pro? Do I use the Metrologic software? the OPOS from Metrologic? Or is there something simple that I am just missing?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Russ

I don't know the quickbooks POS software, but if it is true POS software it is probably expecting some element of setup. We use the Metrologic 9535 scanners on TEC pos units, and there is a TEC Opos setup utility we have to run where we setup the scanner, msr, printer etc.

Just so you know, there is an excellent utility on the metrologic website that they never mention - it's called Metroset2, and you can use it to fully configure one scanner, then send those settings to every scanner you have - no need to hunt through the manuals for the correct barcodes.

HTH

Mike

Thank you for the info.
But I have used that tool plus the OPOS utility from there web site. But no go.
I am a complete newbie to the barcode scanner thing. And it is really getting frustrating.
The scanner is setup on virtual com port 3. So if I run hyper terminal I can see what I scan. But if I open notepad or the POS, there is nothing. It just seems like the info is not getting there.
Once again, and and all help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Russ

Hmm...ignoring our POS equipment for a moment, we also use 9535's on our back office pc's. These are just just usb scanners, and will happily scan into notepad, excel, our epos back office software - anything that would use a keyboard entry basically (like an old keyboard wedge scanner). Why did you have to setup a virtual com port?

Our POS scanners are serial (com port) however, and they need the opos setup. They will NOT scan into notepad or any other normal windows app - only our Epos application, which is looking for the input from that com port.

Have you tried scanning with NO drivers setup at all - just see what windows will make of it into notepad?

I just had a look at the list of supported scanners on the quickbooks site - yours is not listed:

Metrologic Voyager BT MS9535 Bluetooth Wireless
Microvision Flic
Symbol 1902
Symbol 1908
Metrologic Voyager MS9520 PS/2
Symbol M2007 Omni directional PS/2
HHP SR IT5600
HHP Imageteam 3800LR USB
HHP Imageteam 3800LR PS/2

The top one is the one we use. It comes in usb and serial versions - maybe you could try with one of these? From the looks of the ones listed, I think it is very much a straight windows app, and therefore just wants something that can scan straight into windows.

Yepper, I completely un-installed all(2) of the Metrologic software packages. I have completely removed the scanner from the computer also. Restarted (like with everything else for troubleshooting). Then re-installed just the scanner. With no additional software.
Same thing happens.
1. Hyper terminal:yes
2. Notepad / POS: no
The box I am using is a Dell Optiplex 170L w/ Win XP on it.
I do appreciate the help!
Thanks

You could also try Metrologic - see if they've had any reports of the 9540 working / not working with your pos software.

Barcode Scanner works as a serial device.
I needed to install a wedge for communication purposes with the POS system.
A weeks worth of headache's for a simple wedge.
Thank you for all your help and useful insight!
Have a good one!
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back