Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help me subdue rogue, autonomous security 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socrates877

Programmer
Jul 17, 2003
US
I think my computer is typing code without me knowing it...Something is alive, and it isn't the usual gnomes/goblins/gremlins.

I set up forms security. In addition, my host computer setup windows security, without me even asking. Here is my file structure:

/web.config
/dblabor/default.aspx
/dblabor/user/web.config
/dblabor/user/timecard.aspx

I am restricting access to timecard.aspx. default.aspx is my login form. Here is the first web.config:
<configuration>
<system.web>
<authentication>
<forms name=&quot;DBLabor&quot; path=&quot;/dblabor/user&quot; loginUrl=&quot;/dblabor/default.aspx&quot; protection=&quot;All&quot; />
</authentication>
<customErrors mode=&quot;Off&quot; />
</system.web>
</configuration>

Here is the second web.config file:
<configuration>
<system.web>
<authorization>
<deny users=&quot;?&quot; />
</authorization>
</system.web>
</configuration>

The way I want this to work is that when a user tries to go to timecard.aspx, he gets redirected to default.aspx to login.

What actually happens is that a standard windows login dialog pops up! The only username/password that works for this windows login is my ftp username/password.

How is this possible? Moreover, how can I get this to work the way I want it to?

Thanks

Here we go...

In the main web.config (Root of you application) you would put

<configuration>
<system.web>
<authentication mode=&quot;Forms&quot;>
<forms name=&quot;DBLabor&quot; path=&quot;/dblabor/user&quot; loginUrl=&quot;/dblabor/default.aspx&quot; protection=&quot;All&quot; />
</authentication>
<customErrors mode=&quot;Off&quot; />
</system.web>
</configuration>

Then you would add a new web.config file in the directory of the files you want to secure.

<configuration>
<system.web>
<authentication>
<location path=&quot;SecuredPage.aspx&quot;>
<system.web>
<authorization>
<deny users=&quot;?&quot; />
</authorization>
</system.web>
</location>
</authentication>
</system.web>
</configuration>

NOTE: The ? represents anonymous users, so they will be directed to the login page as stated in the root web.config file.

Let me know if this has helped.

AGIMA.net

You're exactly right. As it happens, I figured out the answer after a couple days. Too bad you didn't show up sooner! You still earn A StAr!!!!

Thanks

I'm a little hyper.

Thank your very much. Im glad to help even though you had already figured it out.

AGIMA where professional web hosting is our business.

AGIMA Computing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back