Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP ME PLEASE..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfletch

MIS
May 3, 2000
US
I am running Win 98 SE and kept getting a registry problem.  While allowing window to fix it, it was one problem after another.  So I FDISK the drive, formatted it, then reinstalled windows again.  Now when I boot up, yet again saying Registry problem will restart and fix.  It restarts and never fixes, just getting the same message.  Do I have a problem with the mother board?  Maybe the Hard Drive is bad?  I don't know what to do.  It is an old computer 133 Mhz, 32 MB, 1.9 GB hard drive.  It has had 98 SE on it for over 6 months with no problems.  Any help would be appreciated.

what do you install last that gives you this error? <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Nothing.&nbsp;&nbsp;Error just started to occur.&nbsp;&nbsp;Nothing was add or deleted.&nbsp;&nbsp;Like I said I finally decided to reinstall the system and formated the drive and install Windows.&nbsp;&nbsp;Even had a problem installing windows, had to reboot twice because program locked up.

have you checked your rams or processor health lately? <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>

Sounds to me like a memory problem. Try to borrow some other memory and reinstall. If it is OK you have solved your problem <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Hi,<br>It is a hardware problem, please check your Ram. Your may try to install that program with other ram and determine the cause.

I have a question. After fdisking the drive, reformatting and reinstalling '98 did the '98 installation ever finish? That is, did you ever get the &quot;Welcome to Windows '98&quot; startup box?<br><br>I may be off-base here but it seems that if you had correctly formatted the drive there would not have been a registry left on the drive for Windows to complain about.<br><br>1) Do you have more than one logical partition on the physical boot drive?<br><br>2) Were there errors you neglected to mention?<br> <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= plain black box</a><br>

One possible solution, is to Boot to ms_dos prompt (command line only). RUN SCANREG /RESTORE to restore an old copy of the registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back