Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help me please, "! no output error"

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeDam

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2001
BE
I have a strange problem since some days ago :
Our server call HS1.crelan.be (10.1.1.2). It's working under windows 2000
Our mailsweeper under firewall HN031.lbk.be (172.1.13.24). Also working with windows 2000

Backup are launch at 2h30. Here are message that has benn display in log :

03/27/02 02:30:42 AM nsrd: hn031:C:\ saving to pool 'LBKnormalfiles' (001261)
03/27/02 02:30:49 AM nsrd: hn031:SYSTEM FILES:\ saving to pool 'LBKnormalfiles' (001261)
03/27/02 02:32:33 AM nsrd: hn031:SYSTEM FILES:\ done saving to pool 'LBKnormalfiles' (001261) 223 MB
03/27/02 02:33:58 AM nsrd: hn031:C:\ done saving to pool 'LBKnormalfiles' (001261) 415 MB
03/27/02 04:31:11 AM savegrp: hn031:C:\ will retry 1 more time(s)
03/27/02 04:31:11 AM savegrp: hn031:SYSTEM FILES:\ will retry 1 more time(s)
03/27/02 04:33:17 AM nsrd: hn031:C:\ done saving to pool 'LBKnormalfiles' (001261) 415 MB
03/27/02 04:40:33 AM nsrd: hn031:SYSTEM FILES:\ done saving to pool 'LBKnormalfiles' (001261) 223 MB
03/27/02 06:31:53 AM savegrp: hn031:C:\ will retry 0 more time(s)
03/27/02 06:31:53 AM savegrp: hn031:SYSTEM FILES:\ will retry 0 more time(s)
03/27/02 06:32:45 AM nsrd: hn100:index:hn031 saving to pool 'LBKnormalfiles' (001261)
03/27/02 06:32:58 AM nsrd: hn100:index:hn031 done saving to pool 'LBKnormalfiles' (001261) 47 MB
* hn031:C:\ ! no output
* hn031:SYSTEM FILES:\ ! no output

Backup are OK, i use mminfo to verify but it's a problem because we have several clients starting at 4h30!!
It's very strange because the timeout is 240 min... So why retry it 2hour after????
Is it a legato problem or is it because it's backup under a firewall???
Please help...
thanks for all....

Has Legato support helped you because they ahven't come up with anything for me . Issue # 3026233

I also get the following on the client...
rror: nsrexecd: failed to write nulhandshake on 240 error code 154

Ed Skolnik

Well.... this is a known issue. NetWorker is opening a port in the firewall during the start of the backup and is supposed to get some inforamtion from the client behind the firewall after the backup has been preformed (index and stuff).

The firewall isn't glad about this and is closing this port(after a while) so the backupserver can't get this information. That's why you got this error "no output".

On a Solaris machine you got a "TCP timeout" value to tune and you might have something simmilar in Windows.....

If the firewall is closing the port after a while , what does this have to do with changing the TCP timeout on the backup server? If it's closed .. doesn't it stay closed?

Ed

I *********** UPdate *****************

If the firewall is closing the port after a while , what does this have to do with changing the TCP timeout on the backup server? Also How do you see what the time out value is on Sun, then now do you change it?

If it's closed .. doesn't it stay closed?

***** Hello anyone out there care to comment! *******

FR: isivapal

3026233 Error: nsrexecd: failed to write nulhandshake on 240 error code 154 LGTpa43607

Engineering is still analysing some issues and had given us their recommendations but we have further questions on some of their recommendation. In fact I have a conference call with the engineer on this in 20 mins.

Here is part of the dialogue from the engineer:

o The * <client>:<filesystem> ! no output messages appear
to originate from savegrp.exe when it attempts to read the
log created by nsrexec while executing the client save. The
message can be generated when either the log is zero length
or when no saveset completion message is found in the log
(successful to not). The &quot;no output&quot; message is documented
in savegrp(1m).

o The client log files (nsr\tmp\sg.<group>.<client>.XXXXXX)
are normally deleted but can be retained if the debug level
is greater than 1 (eg. -D2). This would require running
savegrp manually.

I will let you know once we have clarified a few more points with the engineer. Thanks Indy

We had exactly the same problem using Solaris servers behind a Firewall 1 firewall. This was found to be a TCP timeout issue. Savegrp -p and -n work fine but any filesystem taking over a minute to backup worked but Legato failed to acknowledge this and timed out.

At the start of the backup, Legato opens a connection between the client on a control port (7938 I think) but sends no data down this connection until the saveset completes. After 60 seconds, Firewall 1 assumes this is an invalid connection (SYN attack or the like) and times it out. When Legato finally tries to use it to indicate a successful saveset completion the firewall rejects this connection (Rule 0 - attempt to open an unestablished connection).

The way round it on Solaris was to reduce the tcp_keepalive interval in kernal on the backup server (not required on client) from 2 hours to 50 seconds!! This ensures that the server continually maintains the control connection whilst the backup is running by polling every 50 seconds (10 secs less than the firewall timout).

More info on this and other Legato firewall issues at the firewall forum.

We are using a Win2000 server.... SO...hox can i change this interval?

explains how to do this on windows. The parameter in the registry I believe you will need to set is KeepAliveTime reduce from 7200000 to 50000. This will also mean a lot more SYN-ACK packets on your network - not a real issue for us since the server was only used for Legato so doesn't open that many connections except during scheduled backups in the evenings.

You will probably need to take advice/monitor your network traffic having done this - can't say what other effects it has especially on Win2K.

Thanks,
But Legato Networker added some keep alive packets of it own. Ther gave me a patch for the client and the server and so far it seems to be working. At this point I not sure which way to go is better.

Could you give me that patch????
d.vancutsem A crelan.be

Call Legato support and ask them for the patch that goes with issue 3026233. Legato 6.1.2

not at all.... but they take a long time to respond...
Can you send me this patch by mail???

Whats youer e-amil address. I only have the patch fora Sun server and NT client

OUille.... i have a win2000 server....
I will wait legato's reply...
Thanks for all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back