Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help me figure out this Norstar Modular ICS System. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

enemyphoenix

Technical User
Mar 7, 2008
US
Let me start out by saying that I am clueless when it comes to phone systems. I can tell you just about anything about commercial satellite distribution or computer networking but have never gotten a chance to setup or learn a PBX system.

My company recently acquired a Norstar system from another company we bought and our Director of Operations decided to place it with me to figure out this system and set it up to possibly replace our existing Merlin system. I have beaten my head against the wall for about 2 days trying to figure this thing out and dredge through the thousands of pages of manuals available for this thing, and I'm not having much luck. Lets start out with some pictures.

Here is the main system

01norstarmodularicsfx3.jpg

02norstarmodularicslabeex2.jpg

Here is the rom and cartridge. It's running software version 7.1

03norstarmodularicssoftwa5.jpg

04norstarmodularicsromnn9.jpg

Here is the module that is in slot 1 of the ICS, I have no clue what it actually does.

05unknownnorstarmodulenw9.jpg

06unknownmodulesticker1vw0.jpg

07unknownmodulesticker2pm7.jpg

In slot 2 of the ICS we have a 6port fiber expansion.

086portexpansionmoduleup2.jpg

096portexpansionmodulespq7.jpg

106portexpansionmodulesbi2.jpg

Here are two MOX16 Expansions.

11expansionsgv7.jpg

12expansionmodelrc8.jpg

13expansion1stickerho3.jpg

14expansion2stickerxb2.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is an expansion for analog phones

15analogexpansionsq0.jpg

16analogexpansionmodeluo4.jpg

17analogexpansionstickeql5.jpg

Voice mail System

18callpilot150minixs1.jpg

19callpilot150ministickrr1.jpg

The most useless add on ever. The FastRAD. Why program the system with a phone when you can program it with a fake emulated phone on your computer. It only takes you twice the amount of time to click the buttons with a mouse instead of just press them on a phone.

20fastradat5.jpg

21fastradstickeryl3.jpg

The T1 Trunk Module. It has been pulled out because, well, we don't have a T1...

22t1trunkmodulepa9.jpg

22t1trunkstickercz2.jpg

Finally, the phone I'm using. A T7316E.

23t7316ephonepc1.jpg

Right now I'm just trying to get it to where it supports one phone and one line to test and familiarize myself with it. I can't steal one of the lines coming into our existing system because those lines have to remain up for other aspects of our business so I've been forced to set it up and test it behind our existing system. I believe this is one of the main problems but my boss swears that it should ring through as if it were a normal POTS line, I'm think it might be causing a problem, either that or we are missing an appropriate trunk cartridge.

Here is what I'm doing. I went and bought two amphenol cables from a local store. I cut the female ends off both cables. I plugged the male end of one into the top port of this ICS and put an RJ-11 plug on the white-blue pair on the other end and connected that to a Nortel phone. That should make it the first phone in the system, port 101, DN 221 (If using 3 number DNs). I then took the other cable and plugged it into the bottom port of the ICS (which should be for lines) and put an RJ-11 connector on the white-blue pair of that cable and plug it into one of our phone jacks (That wall jack is wired into the existing Merlin system in our distro closet). That should be Line 001. I add the line to a line pool and set the phone to use both that line as default and the line pool that it's assigned to. Now I'm sure it being behind our existing system would cause problems for trying to call out with the Nortel phone but we should still be able to dial the extension for the Nortel system and have it ring through on the test Nortel phone shouldn't we? Is our existing system keeping us from testing this properly? Are we missing a trunk system to set this up using multiple analog (POTS?) lines? Keep in mind that while the Unknown Module and 6port expansion cart are plugged into the ICS, none of the expansion boxes or the voice mail system are plugged in as of yet.

The software on the PCMCIA to Compact Flash Adapter and 256MB Compact Flash Card is proprietary but the cards aren't, you could plug it into a PCMCIA slot on a laptop and view or copy files. I had a customer who replaced his with a store bought card (no dea why) and just copied the software from one to the other. he never had a problem. I carry around a few that I got from old, dead callpilots in my laptop bag that I use as flash memory.

the second slot is used to upgrade the software.

A ship in the harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back