Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help me convince my boss to get Exchange 2007! 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newb2IT

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2008
US
Hi all, I have a network of about 100 computers. Right now we have a company hosting our websites (we have 3 websites because we are really 3 companies in 1) Right now we all get our email using a POP3 style configuration from the company that hosts our websites. I am trying to convince my boss to get Exchange 2007 and I was wondering if you can give me some reasons so that I can tell him that it is a good idea to get it. We also have some Blackberries for employees and I think those can benefit from it as well. I found on the web reasons to "upgrade" to 2007 but that does not apply since we do not have an "older" version of exchange. Thanks

That is great info ShackDaddy I will look into it. thanks so much

If you are publicly traded company, there is another reason to go to an exchange platform over hosted... Compliance.

baddos that is a great point, what are the compliance requirements? or do u know where i can get them?

Typically you want to keep all email and internal IM conversations for 3-7 years...

Exchange won't do that for you very well at all on its own. You'll want to add on some additional 3rd-party software.

Exclaimer and GFI's MailArchiver are a couple of the low-end on-site solutions. You can also go the hosted route with solutions like MXLogic and ExchangeDefender. I've used all these solutions, and would say that in general, you get what you pay for.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

The problem with cloud based compliance and archiving solutions is how they handle internal mail. If they have a method, keep in mind that internal mail that once never hit your Internet bandwidth will now do so.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

The cloud-based solutions are usually going to be pulling a LOT of mail (everything that came in or went out earlier, or was sent internally) out of your journaling mailbox and then out of the network via IMAP. You can usually throttle them to use off-hours, but that still eats up a lot of outbound bandwidth, which is often lower than inbound for smaller shops.

Once you add up the monthly hosted costs or the additional costs you rack up fixing bugs and outages with the cheap on-site solutions, you might be ready to pay for a more solid mid-range solution. That usually means a dedicated server, but also a product that more R&D was invested in.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

And then there is the issue with using journaling, which is a poor method. It just dumps a crap load of IOPS onto your storage, and it doesn't track other information such as read status, folder status, editing of messages, etc.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back