Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help me choose a router

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohif

IS-IT--Management
Jun 11, 2003
US
I currently have 2 3com stackable switches. One is used for LAN addresses, and one is used for our public range addresses. We have about 60 users and I am using a cheapo Linksys router to route between the 2 switches. I am starting to have trouble with citrix clients getting disconnected and other connection problems and I think it is getting old and worn out. My first question is do I actually need a router inbetween the 2 switches? If I must have a router, what would someone recommend to buy? I don't have much of a budget so it can't be very spendy. Less then $500. I found a few cisco's but they only have 10-baseT cards. Does anyone have any recomendations? It doesn't have to be cisco. Just something reliable that will do the job.
Thanks

I know that the switches support VLANing. Could you go into a little bit more detail on how to do this? I haven't really done much with VLANs yet. Thanks alot for your help.

well actually only way VLANs would work is if you wanted your public and LAN addresses totally seperate which you may. This would not require a router with FastEthernet capabilities. If you desire routing to and from the two seperate newtorks, you will require a FastEthernet module in your router. These are generally pretty pricy. 26xx models with at least one Interface that is 10/100 is probably best bet.You should be able to get a used router that will work for around 1000 from a second hand shop. I am not into purchasing the hardware though so i may be way off. You cannot route between VLANs with 10baseT interfaces. I ran into this problem a few years back.

Here is the general layout of the network. IPs were changed.

62.62.62.0=Public Addresses
10.71.106.0=Internal Addresses

Internet-------Cisco 1721
Router with ACL
-
-
-
3Com 3com
Switch1---------Linksys---------Switch2
- Router - -
- - -
- - -
- - -
- - -
- - -
- - -
7 Servers with - Workstations with
62.62.62.0 Addresses--- 10.71.106.0 Addresses

The servers have dual NICs and are connected to the 62.62.62.0 (switch1)addresses and 10.71.106.0(switch2) addresses. We cannot use DHCP.The servers are for web, citrix, mail, Oracle, and file sharing. Is there any way to just take out the Linksys router? The workstations need to get to the internet.

IMHO , could you possibly try and setup a DMZ with the Citrix servers there, or does the entire network run off citrix ?
also too, if you setup VLANS dont you need a router for the 2 to communicate ?
so your boxes on the private would only be able to stay on the private side, and the public the same,

ÄLWÅ¥§ †®ÛŠ± ÿöüR ‡ÊÇHÑø£µ5T

Remember We Are All Aliens Until We Comedown

mother is the name for god, on the lips and hearts of all children... do you
understand ???

Ouch, you really dont need the routewr in there.

Internet--1721--firewall--switchs-- servers and workstations

The 1721 does the routing adn the firewall controls the access. Some reconfiguring of ip address is required and the switch could be stacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back