Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Me! Cannot even get into console! 350T's

Status
Not open for further replies.

itninja

Technical User
Jun 20, 2003
US
First off, i bought these switches off of ebay.

I cannot even console into them.

I dont even know if i am using the right cabling.

Right now i have a serial extension cable with a gender changer at the end so i can have two females.

I still think im using the wrong cable. Can someone advise on which cable i should be using.

The two baystack 350T's that i own are setup to only accept 10Mb connections. If i could console in i would change that however whenever i try to console, it just sits there. I am using the cable listed above, with Windows XP and Hyperterminal. I have had no response on every setting that i have tried.

Please Help!

typically 9600 8 n 1 ANSI

you may need a null modem adaptor in your cable

I have never used XP, Hyperterm under NT4 had the annoy ing feature that changes made to the protocol did not take effect until you restarted Hyperterm

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I read on some other posts that i could use a Rollover cable with two db9 F ends.

---

Currently i have a DB9 M/F Serial Extension cable with a F/F Gender changer on it so i can have two F ends.

Would i need a null modem adapter in there somewhere and if so can someone post an ebay item similar to what i would need?

From the manual:

Console Terminal Requirements
To connect a console terminal to the BayStack 350 switch console/service port,you need the following equipment:
• An ASCII character terminal that has an RS-232 serial port, or a computer that has an RS-232 serial port and terminal emulation (typically a PC running common communications software)
• A standard RS-232 serial communications cable with a DB-9 connector at one end for connection to the console/service port, and an appropriate connector(typically a DB-9 or DB-25 connector) at the other end for connection to the
serial port on the console terminal

Connecting to the BayStack 350 Switch Console/Service Port
To connect a console terminal or modem to the console/service port, follow these steps:
1. Plug the RS-232 cable DB-9 receptacle into the console/service port plug. Secure the connection by tightening the two screws on the DB-9 receptacle.
2. Plug the other end of the RS-232 cable (DB-9 or DB-25, as appropriate)into the RS-232 serial port on the console terminal or modem.
Note: The console/service port is configured as a data communications equipment (DCE) connector. Ensure that your RS-232 cable pinouts are configured for DCE connections (see “Appendix C, “Connectors and Pin Assignments”).

Appendix C:
DB-9 (RS-232-D) Console/Service Port Connector
The DB-9 console/service port connector (Figure C-4) is configured as a data communications equipment (DCE) connector. The DSR and CTS signal outputs are always asserted; the CD, DTR, RTS, and RI signal inputs are not used. This configuration enables a management station (a PC or console terminal) to connect directly to the switch using a straight-through cable.
Figure C-4. DB-9 console/service port connector
Table C-2 lists the DB-9 console/service port connector pin assignments.
Table C-2. DB-9 console/service port connector pin assignments
Pin Signal Description
1 CD Carrier detect (not used)
2 TXD Transmit data (output)
3 RXD Receive data (input)
4 DTR Data terminal ready (not used)
5 GND Signal ground
6 DSR Data set ready (output always asserted)
7 RTS Request to send (not used)
8 CTS Clear to send (output always asserted)
9 RI Ring indicator (not used)
Shell Chassis ground

HTH

Hit CTL-Y when you connect to it with your serial cable.

Ninja,
Are you still having problems?
350's you need a straight through cable not null modem. I would also download and use Hyperterminal Private edition. With 2000 and XP I have had problems in the past using arrow keys and configuring address etc. Hyperterm PE takes care of the problems.
And as luggon said. Hit CTL-y or enter when you connect to the switch. Try booting the switch with the cable connected and hyperterm open and you should be able to watch the boot diags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back