Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help, mail stuck in outbox because too big 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

irate

Programmer
Jan 29, 2001
GB
I have outlook 2k3 on win xp pro sp1, connected to a hotmail account.
I created a mail and sent it but the attchment was just over 1 meg so hotmail sends back "Task 'Hotmail (1) - Sending' reported error (0x80004005) : 'Outlook's request to the server failed.
The server responded 'Message size is too large'. "
Which is fine I just resent the email with a smaller attachment, but the original message is stuck in the outbox, it keeps trying to send it and I can't delete it.
Does anyone have any dieas how to delete this mail from the outbox?

What happens when you just try to delete it - some error? The first thoughts I have are:
1. Set the machine to work offline before opening outlook (or unplug the network cable if neccessary) and wait for outlook to timeout. Then delete the message.
2. Use the Rules Wizard to create a rule that deletes the message, then manually run the rule.

i, thanks for the ideas,
when I try to delete the message it just does nothing, thats with teh del key and right click to choose delete, I also tried dragging it to the sent and trash folders but nothing happened.
I can go to offline mode or just unplg the network but its the same result, nothing happens.
When I try to create a rule it says "Messages sent and received using HTTP e-mail accounts cannot be filtered using Outlook rules. If server-based message filtering is available, your e-mail service provider can tell you how to enable it.

This seems to imply that you might just be able to drag it to one of the hotmail folders in your folder list, then delete it from there (worth a shot).

The only other thing that I can think of that might (or might not) work is to remove the Hotmail account from Outlook, then add it again.

Howdy:

Have you tried booting to Safe Mode and removing it that way??

Murray

close OE and rename the file named sent.dbx. It will be recreated when you open OE but it will be empty.

futuretech204, that won't work with Outlook 2003 (which irate is using), only Outlook Express as you've mentioned.

Select Tools Options Click the Mail Setup tab.
Uncheck Send immediately when connected restart outlook go to outbox click on message and hit delete key.

Thanks futureTech, and the rest of you guys, basically as you said I had Outlook set to Send Immediately and also automatic send/recieve every 5 mins, once I turned those options off I could delete the message from the outbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back