Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP! Logical Disk, File system: RAW after merge partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamanson

Programmer
Aug 17, 2001
AU
After merging 2 NTFS partition (E: 10GB and Z: 10GB ) with Partition Magic 8 in XP Prof.

Some errors in merge process and Z: become 20GB but Logical Disk (E:) still here!!
I tried the following
1. The icon for the drive has a question mark on it that's in a red circle.
2. If you click on the drive it just says "E:\ refers to a location that is unavailable".
3. If you click on properties it only has a General tab that says "Type: local disk" "File System: raw" and "Capacity 0 bytes"
4. Partition magic did not show E:
5. Cannot access E: at Command prompt
6. Reboot with XP Installer, enter recover mode, "Diskpart" command, see windows98, XP and Programs only.

Physical Disk info 40GB
(Original)
C: Windows 98 (Primary Partition) 10GB
D: XP (Logical Drive) 10GB
E: Temp (Logical Drive) , nothing inside 10GB
Z: Programs (Logical Drive) 10GB

(After)
C: Windows 98 (Primary Partition) 10GB
D: XP (Logical Drive) 10GB
Z: Programs (Logical Drive) 20GB
E: Size=0

How can I delete E:? Please help. Thanks.

Have you backed up all your data from each partition?

Chances are that deleting E: will also mean that Z: disappears! There may also be a chance that D: will become corrupt.

I think I'd verify my backup then delete E:, reboot to check then delete Z:, if it exists - I'd use XP's Disk Management to do this, since PM has already caused you grief.

Reboot again then create a new logical drive to restore your data to.

I tried delete Z:, re-create but still no use :(

I cannot see E: anywhere. Not in Disk Management, not even in XP System Rcover Console.

I can only see it in My Computer, the icon for E: has a question mark on it that's in a red circle, while normal drives show harddisk icon.
( ? Logical Disk (E:))

Booting from the XP CD to the Recovery Console and running 'fixmbr' and 'fixboot' may clean up the partition table for you - you sure your backups are good :)?

Thanks!! but it cannot see the partition.

Got it fixed finally.

Reboot with XP Installer, enter Recovery Console. Delete Z: partitions then create 2 new partition.

After reboot, new partition becomes E: and F: in XP :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back