Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help logging on to an old Unix system

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevotron

Technical User
Aug 6, 2004
US
I have an Old Model IBM POWERServer 320H that has apparently been here at my new job since the stone age. It has a sticker attached to it that says UNIX-Microshop (Microshop being some kind of manufactruing software) anyway, I now nothing about Unix and some furniture mover guy unplugged it and now now one can login to it with the Netterm program (telnet type thingy) I have figured out the IP address is 192.168.1.201 and it is accepting pings, when I try to connect to port 23 with the netterm software it says "target actively refused connection"--does anyone have any sgguestions as to what I can do to access this thing?

No directly attached console ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

no directly attached console. there are serial ports, parallel ports, and ethernet ports on the back--I dont know how you would attach a monitor to any of these. There are mini DIN connectors for mouse and keyboard, an odd looking port that looks like a SCSI conection, a lock on the front with 'normal' 'secure' and 'service' positions.

No VGA connector on a graphic card ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Some allow a serial port to be the control console. But other than hooking a serial device up and moving it across the range of tty ports it will be a guess.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Is it the 320 shown on this page?

Have you tried using using PuTTY for an SSH connection? (in the unlikely even that SSH is installed :)

As edfair mentioned, if you have an IBM console, connect it to one of the serial ports.

Or use a Null Modem cable to connect a laptop to it via serial and use Hyper Terminal on Windows to connect.

"If you always do what you've always done, you will always be where you've always been."

Maybe the port number is wrong. I think IBM used IPX/SPX on older systems. Maybe try port 213. Nothing to lose.

JP

320H boxes have two serial ports named S1 and S2. Could be 9pin or 25pin (not sure - has been ages since I last saw one - 15yrs ago or more).

null modem to laptop or any async terminal - default is 9600-8-None and you should see login prompt or sth.

There is also a 3digit LED display - any numbers on that?

I am thinking the machine does not get through the boot process (ping works, telnet doesn't) so a console is kinda vital in further prob isolation.

I shouldn't look for other ports, unless you know that other non-AIX software serving specific ports.

HTH,

p5wizard

p5wizard
There are no numbers on the display. The S1 and S2 ports are 10 pin male (non-standard?) So you are saying I have to connect a null modem cable to a laptop, connect to one of those serial ports on the 320H and then I can connect? Can i ask--if you were me, where would you look for a cable like this. Ebay? What would I look for a null modem cable specific to this 10 pin male serial port? Am I completely off, or is this odd that the serial port is 10 pin male? I thought they were 9.

ports S1 and S2 should be either 25pin or 9pin was my first guess, but you have the machine there in front of you so...

If S1 and S2 are 10pin MODU male connectors then:

TxD is pin1
RxD is pin6
Gnd is pin10

jumper pins 3 and 8 (RTS/CTS)
jumper pins 7, 9 and 2 (DSR/DCD/DTR)

You just need 3 leads to GND/TxD/RxD on your laptop if it still has a serial port. You may have to jumper on laptop side also.

You might want to ask around there if someone knows if there is still a white plastic folder (actually a box) with test connectors and stuff. If you're lucky, there will be an convertor 10pin to 25pin and a silver-coated plastic printer/terminal interposer, then you can just use a straight modem cable.

S1 - 10/25 convertor - prt/trm interposer - modem cable - (25/9 convertor) - laptop

HTH,

p5wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back