Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help jvm memory utilization monitor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonioelderprado

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2003
Hi,
first I am unix sys admin, and not a java person, so pardon my ignorance. I was called to help on this problem. WE have several production machines that uses java for monitoring and scheduling, what I need to know is how to monitor the memory usage of these java processes. I have jdk1.5 that under bin has tools like: jstat, jmap, jinfo; however I have no idea on how to use and what to look for.
I know it is lots to ask, but any help is mostly welcome.
thank you all
./antonio/.

./antonio elder prado/.
.\mountain view, ca\.
./bauru, sao paulo/.

Code:
while [ 1=1 ]
do
  top -b -n 1 | grep java >> /tmp/top_data
  sleep 1
done
?

--------------------------------------------------
Free Java/J2EE Database Connection Pooling Software

Hi sedj

thank you for that; however they want specific tools using java (like those I mentioned before); lprstat would do just that, but I believe (correct me when wrong) jvm has lots of stuff in the background (stacks mgmt, gc, etc), and they want all these info from jvm.
appreciated,

thank you
./antonio/.

./antonio elder prado/.
.\mountain view, ca\.
./bauru, sao paulo/.

ASFAIK, without actually altering the code itself (adding in calls to check the memory usuage using the java.lang.System class), the best way of checking the amount of memory used by a process (ie the JVM), is how much memory the actual OS thinks the process is using.

--------------------------------------------------
Free Java/J2EE Database Connection Pooling Software

Sedj,

I will go with your opinion, because we cannot change the java codes.
thank you very much sadej,

peace,

./antonio/.

./antonio elder prado/.
.\mountain view, ca\.
./bauru, sao paulo/.

Here you have a tutorial on 1.5 monitoring and management tools:
Note that some of them are experimental.

Another solution would be using a profiler. (Search java profiler to find a lot) but I'm afraid most of them need a deep knowledge of Java.

Btw, nice to know there are production systems under 1.5. They're the first I've heard of.

Cheers,
Dian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back