Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help!!! joining win 98 to win 2000 domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPC2k

Programmer
Aug 27, 2002
US
HI all,
Windows 2000 server as PDC and only domain in network. Joined successfully win XP, 2000 Pro computers to domain, but problems joining win 98 computer. After logon, it says something like:
'No domain server is available to validate password. Network resources are not accessible'.

I used Win 2000 cd to install network client on 98 computer and also used Lmhosts file in C:\windows to add this line as suggested in KB:
x.x.x.x <servername> #PRE #DOM:<domain>

also, tried changing the workgroup name to domain name in 'Identification' tab.

Please provide some pointers to get 98 computer to see the server and join the domain.

Thanks,
ppc2k

You edited the lmhosts file which is good. However did you ensure there was no extension behind it such as .sam? enabel the view file types in windows and check the lmhosts file again to see if there is an extension. If there is rename it with out the extension. If there is no extension try adding/editing the hosts file. put the ijp address and server name there. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP, Network+

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

MAke sure that the WORKGROUP name that the Win98 comp has, is the same as your domain name.
Make sure that is the same name that appears under Client for Microsoft NEtwork Properties, and that you are using a user name that has an account already for the domain. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

is the workstation using DHCP?
Can you ping the server and/or any other workstation? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions.

butchrecon, I did checked the extension of lmhosts file. I used command prompt to rename.
And, in lmhosts file, there are MS generated comments in addition to my added line. Is it OK or do I have to delete all comments?

Koquito, I tried with and without having the workgroup name same as domain name and before doing all this, I added the user account and also the computer name in AD users and computers, but no use.
the network is on DHCP.

First of all, as it says, It could not locate the domain controller to validate passwords. Is there anything to do with the TCP/IP property tabs of DNS, WINS etc. right now, DNS and WINS are disabled.
I have to try ping the server. now, other computers and server cannot be seen in network neigbhourhood.

Please suggest anything more to be done.

Thanks,
ppc2k

Are you sure your workstation is receciving Ip address from the Server?
When you type IPCONFIG /ALL at the command promt, what information you have there?
MAybe you lost network connectivity and thats the problem. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Run dsclient from the Win 2k CD on the 98 boxes that are giving you a problem.

Hi,
I was having the same issues (I just moved from a nt4 domain structure to win2k AD). What I did find was that my server setting for DHCP was still set at the old nt4 wins server. This did not seem to matter to the win2k workstations, but made a big difference with the 9x machines. You can either change the DHCP Servers options, or go to the individual workstations and manually set the Wins Server addresses. I'm assuming you could probably solve this by adding netBEUI to the protocols of both the workstation and servers, but I didn't want to run netbeui on my server.

Hope this helps!

The 2000 server probably does not have netbios bound to TCP/IP. The 98 machines depend on this as a last-resort for domain location. If you have WINS configured on the 2K server, this should take care of the problem. Use the domain's netbios name instead of the FQDN when specifying domain on the 98ws, and in the LMHOST file(if you choose to use one). Make sure to add the &quot;domain:your_domain_netbios_name&quot; in the host record for the DC(LMHOST file). Jim - Synnex Info Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back