Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help ! Is my application eating up system resources ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiptino

Programmer
May 27, 2000
NG
I'm currently testing a commercial application that I developed with Visual Basic 6.0, targeted for Windows 95/98/NT/2000.
I want 16MB RAM to be the minimum requirement.
The application consumes small diskspace(which is OK), but I don't know how much memory it consumes when running.

How do I know if the application is eating up system resources(memory, processor time) when running.

If you have any other technique of testing application in this area, please let me know.

Thanks.

Well, I am not sure, but try this:

Start your app. While it is still running, minimize it and go to your control panel/System/Performance Tab on your system if it is on win95/98 platform or the Task Manager on NT/2000. That should tell you how much resources your app is using.

Let me know if this helps. Good Luck! s-)

-vbuser1976
VB6.0 SP4
Crystal 8.0 Developer Edition
SQL 7.0 SP2

If you are using Win 98 you can go to Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools and start the System Monitor program. Check what your system resources are like before starting your program, then after. This should give you a good indication of the resources being used.

I would try this program TaskInfo2000. It lets you see how much memory your program is using Physiacally. It will show you how much of your program is loaded into memory and how much data your program uses. It will also show you which DLL's you are using/sharing too.

You can get this program at It's really neat. It will let you kill process too.

Rog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back