Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[HELP] Installing CCM 4.1 on Generic PC Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

RX3

IS-IT--Management
Dec 31, 2005
US
I am trying to install CCM 4.1(2) on a generic PC. I am following the routine that you guys suggested.

Installed Windows 2000 Server
Installed IE6 Service Pack
HWCHECK.REG
OSCHECK.REG
Installing win-OS-Upgrade-K9.2000-2-7

It completes phase 1 of 3, reboots the server and then does nothing, does not install the 3 other phases. It tried relaucing the win-OS-Upgrade-K9.2000-2-7.exe file, it starts it again, does 1 phase of 3, reboots the server, and never continues.

I am installing as "Administrator" on a fresh install.

Any help is appreciated.

@knoorda - I'm having the same problem (cannot access the administration web page). Can you tell me what you did to correct the problem?

Thank you,

Make sure that IIS is running!

I am trying to install CCM 4.1(3) on a laptop but the install program detects that I don't have 1 GB of RAM, is any reg hack to bypass the memory RAM check ? I have run the Hardware Hack and the registry shows: Memory: 1024

Thanks

@RX3 - you're right, that was the first problem I encountered. :) But I managed to solve it before posting here.

Right now, the situation is like this:
-I can access the service mgmt web page, but I cannot start any of the services (I get various errors and timeouts). If I go to Administrative Tools/Services and try to start the services manually, I get an "Error 5: Access is denied".
-I cannot access the CM administration web page (HTTP 500 internal server error).

I followed the walkthrough on the MS site, but it still isn't working (BTW - that walkthrough didn't say anything about the permissions for the cisco files. Is there anything specific that I should change about the CiscoWebs folder, for example?)

I'm not a Windows (or IIS) expert by far, so I don't know what to do next.

@lemush - from what I've read, CCM 4.1.3 actually _requires_ 1GB of RAM. And so far, I haven't seen any workarounds for that :(

Finally got it! The problem was related to user permissions in Windows 2000.

To be more specific: the error in the Event Viewer was this - "the server {...} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout". All I had to do was give everyone Read access to the WinNT/Registration folder and I was good to go!

In case there is anyone else interested, here are the steps I followed in order to install CCM 4.1.2:
1. Install Win2K Server (from a slipstreamed SP4 CD)
2. - install latest patches plus IE6 SP1.
3. Download a JVM. Since the Microsoft VM is no longer supported, I downloaded the one from sun (java.sun.com)
4. Do the registry hack.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems\Model]
“Hardware”=”MCS7835”
“Memory”=”1024”
“Speed”=”733”
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Spirian\System Info\OS Image]
“Version”=”2000.2.5”
(I got a message saying that I do not meet the minimum requirements when first trying to install - solved it by changing the "version" key to "2000.2.6")
5. Install win-OS-upgrade 2.7. Computer will reboot 3 times
6. Install win-OS-upgrade 2.7sr7. Another reboot.
7. Copy the "shutdown.exe" file from c:\programm files\cisco\updates\2000.2.7sr7 to c:\utils
8. Insert CCM disk 1, and start the installation. It will ask for disk 2, and then disk 1 again. It will also reboot the computer once or twice.
9. Give everyone read access to the \winnt\registration folder. Make sure that IIS is running
10. Click on the "service administration" link.

11. Enjoy! :)

I forgot to mention - I also modified the hosts and lmhosts file. But the CM seems to run just fine without that, so I left it out of my... tutorial. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back