Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP: INSTALLING A NEW HARD DRIVE!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisegi

Technical User
Aug 26, 2003
CA
HI...

I was hoping I could get some help here, I'm trying to install a new hard drive (40 GB Maxtor) on a older P3 machine that currently has a 4 GB HD.

At first I thought I could just add the new HD but still use the Old HD but when I installed the new hd as slave the new Cpu wouldn't recognize the new drive.

After numerous attempts and being vary fustrated I decided to just scrap the old HD and just install the new one and load WIN98 on it. However now when I removed the old HD and intalled the new one when I went to us PQmagic or fdisk... it says no Fixed disks found????

I'm at a loss... I know I still have to format the new HD but how can I if the cpu doesn't see it.... Can anyone help me???? I have not deleted anything off my old hd so If I reinstall that drive I'm sure it will boot up normally so if anyone can help in either of the 2 scenerios would be greatly appreciated...

THx

Wisegi

for formating the new disk, check all IDE cable connections , jumper settings(master and slave) as well as power connections.it is very unlikely the hard disk cannot be detected (unless for reasons stated by the masters before me) and/or the motherboard is too old

advice 1. dont waste the 4 gb disk. reformat that and you can use on other real old machines. jus note the jumper settings (look at back of disk)
advice 2.if you are not exactly the kind who likes to play around with PC spare parts, simply set aside the 4gd disk though some PC maintenance ppl will buy 2nd hand disks their "old" clients. there is virtually no support for such disks nowadays.

hope helps
xhaya [noevil]

Wisegi: - Silly question to ask but did you fdisk the drive before reformatting it? - If not it helps!!!

Mel in the UK

Did the 40 GB Maxtor come with any software that will allow the old BIOS to recognize it?

HI Everyone...

Thx for all the responses ...

Let me answer a few of your questions and ask a couple more...

1. I didn't fdisk either drives... the orginal drive is still intact although it's not req'd I would like to save some of the files on it... but if not then I will wipe it out... I couldn't fdisk the new drive because the cpu didn't recognize it...

2. I believe all the connectors are still good because they worked with the previous harddrive right? I recently changed the power supply of this cpu....

3. I did master and slave both drives using the jumpers... I tried it both ways...

4. No the new hard drive didn't come with any software whatsoever but I do have pqmagic.....

5. How do I update the bios of this motherboard? I'll find out the brand and model number tommorrow

I believe PQMagic is for partitioning a HD, and that it will not help your new HD to get recognized by your older BIOS.

You can get a BIOS update at the MB manuf's site.
Just make sure to get the correct one for your BIOS and be careful when updating, or your MB can become unusable.

If updating the BIOS does not get the new HD recognized, then you can install a PCI ATA controller card, and connect the new HD to it.
It has its own BIOS which will recognize the new drive.
Recommend a Promise card.

You could also try loading the default settings with the BIOS. Sometimes that works....I try to stay away from those stupid hard drive installation disks...It will be a pain for you in the future, and you'll have to break out the the TOM'S ROOT BOOT disk to fix it.

If that doesn't work it could be something with the cable I am assuming that you drive is an ATA 100, and that your old one was an ATA 33 or 66. Try swapping the cable that came with the drive...

If that doesn't work I may pull the MOBO jumper to reset the BIOS, and try that.

Tamra Graver --CNA, Network+
It is my job to comfort the disturbed
and disturb the comfortable..........

I had the same exact problem. It was that the BIOS was too old. A lot of older BIOS will only see up to an 8 GB HD. You must be VERY careful if you decide to try and upgrade the BIOS. If it is not successful, your PC will become a very large, very expensive door stop. If the BIOS is incorrect, the machine will not boot. In fact it won't do anything. No beeps, no nothing. Just the fans work so be very careful.

Hmmm now I'm wondering.....

How will I know if my bios is too old? before it breaks....

Like I said it's a p2, 250 or 300... any thoughts?

Again thx for all the help you guys are great....

If your BIOS does not recognize the 40 GB HD even after doing a BIOS update, then it's too old.

Hi Wisegi,

Telling u from the starting steps.

1)On the Hard Drive, check for the jumper. It should be at Master.

2)Go to BIOS and try to detect the hard drive. I think u should have an option for Detecting the Hard Drives.

After doing this, let me know the results.

PSingh

It is most likely BIOS needs updating. I have old PII 400Mhz machine and had to replace HD from 4Gb to 40Gb and this required BIOS update. Check out motherboard makers website.

HI

It's me again... I have the case taken off the cpu but I can't see any label or sort on the motherboard.... Any ideas how I can tell what kind of motherboard it is... and the bios version?

Thx

Rey

Hi

I had the exact same problem when I installed a 40 Gb drive.
I would say it's almost certainly the BIOS which is the reason for your problems. I installed EZ-BIOS to get round the problem without having to flash the on-board bios (too risky unless you've got a UPS).

Best of luck

Steve

HI..

Where do I find this EZ BIOS? And how do I use it?

Wisegi - have you tried any of ski's excellent advice? Ie, have you idenfied mobo & looked for bios upgrade?

EZ Bios is overlay software (used for fooling machjines with older bioses so whole drive can be recognised) - BUT it nearly always causes problems later.

Also, some hard drives have a limiting jumper (for backward compatibility with older bioses) - so drive only seen as 8 or 32 GB (2 well known limits). If your machine is P2 250/300, bios should recognise drives up to 32GB without an upgrade.

have a look at
(Maxblast for overlay).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back