Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help in creating single record from multiple records

Status
Not open for further replies.

RKTEK

Programmer
May 27, 2006
US
I am new to informatica and I was given an assignment to design the mapping in order to achieve this. Your help is really appreciated. We are using informatica 7.11

We have a source table where the data looks like: (all blanks are nulls)

These are the conditions/constraints:

The Column 1 is the KEY for a target table.
The column 4 can be null.
There should not be two values in column 2 (X, E) for a unique column-1 (for 1). (This is a business condition). Same case with other columns.
No joins/lookups should be used.
Performance is more IMPORTANT as the table is very large in size.

Source Table:
Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
1 X
1 X
1 X
2 Y
2 Y
2 Y
1 E
3 Z
3 Z

Target Table:
This is the target table should be achieved.

2 Y Y Y
3 Z Z

This is the error file should look like:
ERROR TABLE/FILE
1 X X X
1 E X X

Create aggregate transformation with group by on column 1 and use max on columns 2,3,4. the outcome is:

a. all values for columns 2,3,4 are the same. This is the output you write to target.
b. Values for column 2 and 3 are the same and column 4 is null (or zero), write to target

(this last detail depends on the server setting ‘ treat aggregate nulls as zero’ )

c. value of column2 differs from colums 3 and 4; write this one to error table and additional row that contains value of column 3/4 and substitute in column 2.

You can extend this structure to your needs, but I think you may only need 1 agg transformation, a router (and perhaps additional filters)

This is not by any chance some sort of exam question?

Ties Blom

Thanks for the response. This question was asked in Yahoo interview.

But, I think my question has given a wrong impression.

Actually the column 2,3,4 are not the same. They dont have to contain same values. My example was wrong. I put 'X' by mistake.

Sorry for the confusion:

It was supposed to be: (all blanks are nulls)

Source Table:
Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column4

1 X
1 Y
1 Z
2 A
2 B
2 C
1 D
3 E
3 F

Target Table:
This is the target table should be achieved.

2 A B C
3 E F

This is the error file should look like:
ERROR TABLE/FILE
1 X Y Z
1 D Y Z (Or it can be '1 D null null')

If I use aggregator/group by, I am not going to catch these errors. instead it will insert one of them into target table.

Hope you can answer this. Thanks

Well, I think this is not really within this sites policies, but here's my 2 cents:

If your example is not any more complex than this, then use agregator with 6 outgoing ports: a min and max for each of the 3 incoming ports 2,3,4. Group by port 1.

Now evaluate if - for each port - min / max values are identical, then write this to target.
If not then you have a bunch of scenario'sthat you need to resolve before writing to the error table..

Ties Blom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back