Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP! Importing address information into GroupWise 5.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

newreporter

IS-IT--Management
Jul 11, 2000
US
Does anyone have any tips or helpful hints on importing address information into GroupWise 5.2? I've struggled with the information provided by Novell's website, however, I am still not able to accomplish this.

I understand that I need to create a NAB file to export then to rebuild the file to import into GroupWise. But when I try to import the NAB file, I get an error message from GroupWise stating the file import is invalid.

What am I missing? Are there any other alternatives to consider to facilitate this?
[sig][/sig]

What are you using to try and create the import file (NAB file)? I think the only way to go is to be using the Corel WordPerfect 8 (or higher)address book to pull information in from whatever the original source is. Then Corel can save the file as an NAB which GroupWise can then read.
[sig][/sig]

Thanks for your response.

Basically, I exported a NAB file containing a sample address and opened the NAB file in notepad. From there I removed the header information and added the files I wanted to import into the address book. Supposedly, after creating this import file, I should be able to import it into GroupWise from there.

I didn't think about using WordPerfect. It definitely sounds much less painful.

[sig][/sig]

I spent two hours trying to figure out why I was not able to create a .NAB file following Novell's instructions. I'm using Word to do a catalog mail merge out of Access. Well it turns out that the quotation marks that Word uses are different from the quotation marks needed in the .NAB file. My workaround was to export a .NAB file, view it in Notepad, and then clip a sample quotation mark and then build my Word merge with the copied quotation mark. It now works like a charm. My advice, use Notepad, or Notepad characters in alternate programs.

CalClay@yahoo.com

Everybody, please look at Novell's Cool Solutions web site for GroupWise. There is a utility using an Excel spreadsheet to convert data from popular software to NAB files for GroupWise. The file is called RicksGWConverter.zip

GRoupwise 5.5 document management won't integrate with Corel WordPerfect 10 on Windows 2k systems. Has anyone else had similar issues?

disregard my reply, I posted to the wrong place. Sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back