Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP!- ICA Client Setup- Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

bran2235

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2002
US
Hello everyone-
Here's what we have:
27 Servers (PS4) which all publish a desktop.
Remote users access this desktop via ICA using either a WYSE or a NEOWARE thin client.

SETUP QUESTION (HELP!) -
All of the thin clients are hardcoded with three addresses of Citrix servers in our Farm. This is so that the ThinClient can find our farm...
Problem:
If the first server/IP in the list gets hung during a reboot or goes down, new connections can't connect / login, etc.

My Theory / Please correct:
-the 'Server List' is for pointing the thin client to the Farm.
-If the first address in the list is unreachable, the client will attempt to find the Farm using the second IP in the list, then the next, next, etc...

My theory is not working though! The first server in the list was unreachable but the second one was- However, the client still could not connect....

Is there a better way to ensure users can connect??

Please help!!

Thanks!!
Brandon

In your DNS have three alias entries for "ICA" set your think clients to look for it via DNS and use the default beahviour of DNS round robining and at least two thirds of your clients will be able to login.

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Thanks, Scott- I'm not sure I'm following here...(?)

So:

1) Create three 'ICA' alias in my DNS... (servers for logging in, right?)...

2) Set thin clients to look for it via DNS... not sure what you mean here... The thin-clients have a "Server-Location" (this is where I'm typing in 3 server IP addresses...

Then, I can choose:
TCP browser
TCP + HTTP browser or
SSL/TLS + HTTPS browser

Are we on the same page here?

Thank you, Scott!
Brandon

TCP IP LOcation and instead of an IP address use "ICA".

Cheers
Scott

ok, getting close, Scott...
Question:

When you say create 3 Alias for "ICA"... DNS will not let you create duplicate alias, right?

Are you saying create something like this:
"ICA1" => resolves to (x.x.x.x); and
"ICA2" => resolves to (y.y.y.y)

?

THANK YOU!
Brandon

I believe that you can create three aliases called ICA as long as they are a different IP.

This is testing my memory somewhat so I shall have a try on my DNS just for the heck, be right back.

Cheers
Scott

While Scott checks, here is MY theory on how this works.

You should build a separate box (I call mine "ICAGATEWAY") which serves no applications but does point to the other servers in the farm. This system almost never goes down by the way since it runs no end-user applications. It has been pretty stable for me for 9 years or so. :) I would mention that this is also a Metaframe XP environment.

Randy Mitchell, Jack of all ITrades

Thanks, Randy-
However, your solution presents a single point of failure...

Right I think I figured it.

I was talking Are You bish.

Its host records you create with ICA as the host name and multiple IP addresses. The I think you have to make sure the round robin is configured. Right click server advanced tab(DNS).

Cheers
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back