Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! I think a port is stuck open?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelleyot

Technical User
Dec 31, 2001
US
I'm not sure what's happened. I installed a surge protector on my sisters computer, including phone line. I checked for connectivity, and was able to get on line. I closed the program, but the line was not, and will not fully disconnect. I've restarted the computer several times, but the problem persists. I removed the surge protector completely and went back to origional set up with line in directly to computer as before. The minute I plug the line into the wall, the line opens (I don't hear the dial tone coming from the computer...when I pick up the phone after a bit, I can hear the op. say "If you'd like to make a call, please hang up and try again...beepbeepbeepbeep!!) and eventually goes out for being "off the hook" so to speak. What's going on? Could the simple act of hooking into a surge protector (I've done it several times without difficulty) have caused this problem that now continues even without the protector? It seems to be a good SP (Belkin Isolator). Please help if you can... she thinks I'm a retard. Fear Not

It's possible you might have zapped the modem, but unlikely... What happens when you plug just a telephone handset (no modem) into this socket? Does it behave normally? Does the phone work ok when you lift the handset? Have you turned the PC completely off at the mains socket, then switched it on again and tried it? Carefully inspect the wall jack socket - are any of the little connecting fingers bent, or are they still all nice and parallel to one another?

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Hi, G0AOZ
When I plug an independent telephone into the jack in the wall, it behaves normally. And all other telephones work. The socket fingers are good and straight, and the jack is midway up the wall so it's been safe from dirt and water. The computer has been restarted 4x by start menu, and fired-up from being unplugged in the transition from surge prot. back to no surge protector. Trouble begins when I plug the line into the wall from the computer...it behaves as though a "handset" has been lifted and placed on a table--like a phone is off the hook (and eventually the line goes dead.) At this point, I can unplug/replug the wire (at either the wall or computer), and that brings back a dial tone. And if I try, I can get on-line while the line is still up, and I can stay on line without trouble. However, when I'm done and have "disconnected" from the ISP (I believe it does disconnect from the ISP but doesn't close the line), I still have to unplug the computer from the phone jack (or else the house phones won't receive calls b/c the line will expire.) If I just unplug/replug...I get a dial tone on my telephone (s)(and can use them normally I wish), but If I haven't dialed out, eventually the operator comes on, and the line goes out...like a typical phone-off-the-hook situation.
I don't know what to think, now, but I can't imagine how connecting it to the SP could have done any harm. Maybe I am a goofball!!! Thank you for your interest and help. Fear Not

Are you still using the same modem lead that you used before you plugged in the surge protector? If no, then revert back to the original lead. If yes, then check this lead out very carefully for damage, shorted wires etc. Most modems generally only require two wires to make 'em work, usually just the middle two in the RJ11 plug...

What happens if the PC is switched off and you plug the modem lead into the wall jack. Does the phone line go off hook or is it ok? If it's ok, now switch on the PC. Does it immediately go off hook, or does that only happen when it's finished booting right up to the Windows desktop?

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Thank you for your interest and help; I truly appreciate it, but my sister has thrown the baby out with the bath water and bought a new machine all toghther, since she got hers in late 97 anyway. Thank you again and again! Fear Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back