Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help!!! I need a Data Transfer Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

noodle786

Technical User
Apr 7, 2003
US
Does anyone know of a data transfer/migration utility that will transfer applications, users settings, and windows updates for windows xp professional operating system? Does symantec have such a utility? I know that there is a built in on for xp, but for some reason the xp updates don't transfer and the dial up settings are not transfering properly?

If anyone could help, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

as well as the built-in XP one, you can download another MS one called user state migration tool. it's designed for enterprise migrations so it might be more reliable.

thanks for the advice, I read up a little on that tool, however, there is no information on if it transfers over the windows updates, has anyone successfully migrated windows updates?

noodle786 - what exactly are you trying to achieve? You don't need to migrate windows updates unless you are migrating the whole system (if you need to reapply them, you can just install SP1 then visit windows updates - or download all that you need to apply manually as an when).

If you are migrating a whole system, ghost or drive image would be appropriate tools.

Basically I need to have 20+ Tablet PCs configured exactly the same. I would like to have them imaged but I can't boot from floppy . . . .and I want them exactly the same without having some stuff transfereed but not everything

Have one machine connect to Windows Update. Print out a list of all the hotfixes, updates, driver files, etc. it identifies.

Use Windows Catalog and download each file, rather than have them installed with Windows Update.

Copy them all to a network folder or to CD. Use qchain to install them:
Follow the first trial installation by running QFECheck:

I'm not at all familiar with Tablet PC's but why can't you boot from floppy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back