Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP!! I lost my music!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2006
US
I bought a 'Maxtor one touch II" External Hard-drive and put all my music on it. My son plugged in the wrong AC Adaptor to it and it stopped working. I removed the drive from the external case, and tried to get it to work in a PC via Serial connection. It didnt work.

I'm Crushed..this is years of collecting my favorite tunes. Apparently the issue may be that the drive is ATA-133, and most PC's use ATA-150. My hopes and thoughts are that the data is OK, but the internal power supply on the maxtor case fried. What do I need to connect the drive to a PC? Will an ATA-133 card work?

You say "It didnt work" after plugging it into a PC. I take it you tried plugging it (on its own) into the secondary IDE interface whilst maintaining the existing PC's primary (boot) drive.

Did the BIOS recognise the drive on the secondary IDE i/f?

Can you hear if the drive is actually spinning up?

If "no" to both of the above, then I'd say you've probably popped the drive and only a very expensive rebuild of the disk platters in a lab will retrieve your data.

It's just possible that replacing the circuit board on the bottom of the drive with a known good one from an identical drive (same model, same revision nbr) might work, but chances are the drive motor has gone as well...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

If it's an IDE drive then as long as it's not dead it should work on any IDE controller. You'll need to plug in a spare power connector as well as the IDE cable.

Next, if you're running Windows 2000 or XP you'll need to tell Windows to make it appear in Explorer. Go to 'Control Panel', 'Administrative Tools', 'Storage' then 'Disk Management'. See if the drive appears in the list. If it does, I think you need to right-click the partition and select 'add'. I can't confirm this bit as I don't have any drives to add at the moment!

After that it should appear in Explorer so you can copy things to/from it. If it doesn't appear in Disk Management it's probably dead, in which case do a search for 'data recovery' and decide whether it's worth the price.

Regards

Nelviticus

'tried to get it to work in a PC via Serial connection'

Do you mean its a SATA drive (Serial ATA)? - is that the type of connection you were trying?

Look at all the foregoing advice...

Determine the drives interface, as stated if SATA you will need a SATA capable mobo or card. If mobo, enable in the bios, and obtain the SATA drivers for your OS to be able to recognize the drive. Same for a card snas the BIOS setting

If and IDE drive also refered to as ATA or PATA; Most enclosures require that it be jumpered as master. If installing as a slave you will need to re-jumper this. The settings are usually printed on the drive label.

Hope that you get this sorted out

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back