Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP I get corrupt SETUP.INS often 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voorhees

Technical User
Oct 2, 2000
SE
Hi i have a big problem i get corrupt setup.ins then i try to installe some programs. I have checkt for virus and have not found any.It´s often then i downlode programs and i have tried to downlode agen but it´s the same problem and i have had the same problems on same cd:s

I have windows ME SWE installd with 256 ram and p3 600Mhz
and a Asus P3V4X motherboard

Ps I had the same problems then i tried to install via:s 4in1 drives

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many programs are not ME compatable. Before downloading see if ME is listed as a compatable operating system.

humm It sounds to me like you hard drive may be going corrupt or you system memory is unstable.
there are two things to do:
1. go to maxtor and download maxllf put it on a bootable floppy and low level format your drive this genraly restores the drive to its orig. condition. maxtors program works on all brands of hard drives however Wester digital has there own program the option is called write zeros to the drive. it does the same thing.

2. if you have two memory chips in your machine 128X2=256
remove the cheapest one. alot of times windows errors are caused but poor quality memory just look on the net how much quality is there in a 128m dimm that costs $35?
I suggest crutial memory there pricing is not that bad and they have memory design down to a science you can your exact Motherboard and chipset and they will show you memory that has been tested and found compatable!.

Well thats all! Also: my experence is that ME runs on adavrage 10~30% slower than 98 on most machines!(degrade is most noticeable on intel celeron and k62 processors) so are cool features really worth it?

Hi, you may find that your hardware is fine. Ive had this message when copying backup software to CDs. This file often complains. Copying to Floppy however is fine.
greenways@levigeon.com

Hello, I've no solution for your Problem, but I have the same problem: I have Asus P3V4X and a PIII 600, and I don't know, why setup.ins is told to be corrupted. If you have any idea about the solution, please let me know, too. Thank you

Peter, paschwanden@gmx.ch

hi can anyone help me i just can not open windows 95the ms ds prompt kept appearing and i don't know how to get back to windws

Regarding the corrupt setup.ins

Clean out your \windows\temp directory - delete everything in it. don't even recycle it - just blow it away.

Now run your setup program - it should run just fine.

WOW - what a response - Mine is so simple it may be worth trying ----
Use boot floppy to boot up -- then type CD WINDOWS then DELTREE /y cache cookies history temp tempor~1 <press enter>
then type CD SYSTEM. Then type REN setup*.* setup*.OUT <press enter>.
Then type your disk drive designator for the CD rom drive (D:\) <press enter> then type SETUP <press enter>
That should clear the problem files indicated on other responses and reinstall windows on top of itself.
Good Luck.

Well if you have what they call system restore you simply go to that and it shows a calendar. Usually it automatically sets the dates for you just prior to when you installed new software or a new device you click on that and it will restore your system to just before you installed the new software! I'm not sure if this is a windows ME thing or if it comes with the sony vaio systems but it works!

System restore is a feature of Windows ME, and is user-configurable to determine how much size is allowed. The more size, the more snapshots it will take. Be advised that this can be a considerable amount of space, however, and while it's sometimes quite handy, it's by no means reliable as a true backup solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back