Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP! I can't run my report over the network!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scuttleButt

Programmer
May 17, 2000
US
I am working in VIsual FoxPro 6.0. I have a project that has been running across the network for about a year with no problems. I ran a report that came out dark so I switched printers on one of my machines and now the report hangs up every time. I can take the entire contents of the network folder and put it on my hard drive and the report runs perfectly. Does anyone have any ideas what may have happened or what I can do? [sig][/sig]

Did you set up the printer correctly over the network? [sig]<p>John Durbin<br><a href=mailto: john@johndurbin.com> john@johndurbin.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>MCP Visual FoxPro<br>
ICQ VFP ActiveList #73897253[/sig]

Yes and that was the problem. The printer is an HP 4000 and the report will only run if I set it up as an HP 3. Why would this report, out of all the reports in the system, require the HP 3 driver over the network? (the report will run from the HP 4000 off of the workstation directly) [sig][/sig]

open the report as a table (i.e. &quot;use myreport.frx)
in the first record, there is a memo field called &quot;expr&quot;.
you need to delete the contents of the memo field, it holds all of your printer specific information. good luck!

sorry, had to register myself on this service and come back on! :) [sig][/sig]

Hi Donna,

As jfherring eluded to, when you save a vfp report, the report designer saves printer specific information into the report.

So anytime you save a report, make it a habit to remove this information.

To remove the driver specific info:

*Open the report as a table
USE MyReport.frx
BROWSE
*Of the 1st record, open the memo field named Expr
*In this field, you'll find two lines labeled Device & Output
*Delete everthing on those lines following the = signs

*Also on the first record, there are two fields (Tag & Tag2)
*Delete everything contained in these memo fields

FWIW, you'll probably notice HP 3 info in the Tag2 field, and this is probably what's causing your problem.
[sig]<p>Jon Hawkins<br><a href=mailto: jonscott8@yahoo.com> jonscott8@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Focus on the solution....Not the problem.[/sig]

actually, I'm pretty sure you can delete everything in that field if you are not sure what you are looking at. Of course, if you have it set up to print landscape instead of portrait, or any other non-default print settings, you will probably want to retain those. Good luck! [sig][/sig]

That didn't work. I tried both ways. First I deleted everything on the two lines after the &quot;=&quot; and the report still hung up. I went back in and deleted the two lines altogether but the report still hangs up. The report goes through the calculations and preperations but hangs up before I get to the preview/print buttons the only thing left to do at that point is to press the reset on the computer. [sig][/sig]

Donna

Confirming John and jherring's posts:-

lcAlias = ALIAS()

USE report1.frx IN 0 ALIAS TEMPREPO
SELE TEMPREPO
GO TOP
REPLACE TEMPREPO.Expr WITH [ORIENTATION=0],;
[tab]TEMPREPO.tag WITH [],;
[tab]TEMPREPO.tag2 WITH []

SELE (lcAlias)

The above code is in everyday use - change value of orientation to suit.

Chris

[sig][/sig]

Donna

Corrected last post:-

lcAlias = ALIAS()

USE report1.frx IN 0 ALIAS TEMPREPO
SELE TEMPREPO
GO TOP
REPLACE TEMPREPO.Expr WITH [ORIENTATION=0],;
TEMPREPO.tag WITH [],;
TEMPREPO.tag2 WITH []
USE

SELE (lcAlias)

Your last post didn't confirm that you had cleaned out .tag2, but you had modified the content of .Expr?

I would agree with John that the problem probably still lies within .tag2

Chris [sig][/sig]

Thanks Chris I tried your code but that didn't work for me either.

I do clear out tag and tag2 what I meant was that I tried the expr with the device = etc. and with both lines totally removed. When I said earlier that I don't get to the print/preview buttons, that's wrong. I get the buttons with the exit and print, I get a white screen where the report should be but the hour glass hangs up and the report never shows. From there I have to reboot my system. [sig][/sig]

Donna

You could try saving the offending report to a new filename, create a new empty report with the offending report's filename and see if the the new report will run.

Assuming it does, gradually rebuild the new report, testing as you go.

Sooner or later, you should come across the problem.

Chris [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back