Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help helpp hellllllpppppppp linux here please

Status
Not open for further replies.

golpemortal

Programmer
Jul 3, 2001
US
I'm learning this badass Os
ok here is the problem ------>

Login: golpemortal
password: you wish
then i get this
[golpemortal@lacalhost golpemortal]$
but now don't know what to do
I wanna go to the linux windows desktop..
someone told me to type startx so i did and my screen flash on me then came this. fatal server error
NO valid mode found.

guys you are my last resource please help i'm not kidding
don't know what to do...

Its seems to me that your Linux don't have the proper driver of your Monitor's model.

which version of Linux u r using?

Hi,

You didn't say what linux distribution you are using so its difficult to give a definitive answer. Anyway, linux has a concept of runlevels and you have set it up so that the default run-level is multi-user console (runlevel 3 on redhat) instead of X (run-level 5 on redhat). It is correct that ordinarily you would just enter the 'startx' command and X would come to life.

As it doesn't work there is obviously an error in your X config file. If you have redhat its easiest to run 'Xconfigurator' to re-select your hardware and test it all out. Otherwise you may have to use 'xf86config' which is more basic. If you do use the latter, you can try to run 'Superprobe -info' before to get an analysis of your setup that will be useful in answering questions under xf86config.

With Mandrake you can do 'DrakConf &' and under suse 'sax' to configure XFree86.

Hope this helps

You haven't configured your xserver.
Please get a good linux newbie book and read it thoroughly, or one of the books published for your distribution and read it
thoroughly.

Hello,
If you want to learn linux, I suggest you get a decent book. As for your current problem: your x-server isn't configured for your video card. Try this command:

xconfigurator

It should allow you to configure your video settings properly. Don't get discouraged. Linux is perhaps the best operating system and is well worth learning. When in doubt, always remeber the man pages (man $AnyCommand).
If your linux distro doesn't suite you, I recommend Mandrake Linux ( Its a very user friendly distro and a good one to learn on.

Hope this NFO Helps,
-Out0fOrder

hello me again
My Linux version is Redhat 7.1 seawolf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back