Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdia

MIS
May 23, 2002
US
I just realize that there is 2GB file size limit on ACCESS 2000. I can not open the file at all because it shows up as 1.99GB. Please Any help will be very appreciated.

^^

Does the file contain just 1 table of 1.99Gig or is it a whole database of 1.99gig? If it's a whole database, create a new database and import the biggest table, or all the tables into the new database. Then create another new database and import everything else into that. Then link the second database to the tables in the first.

A couple of quick thoughts.

1) Have you tried Compact and Repair.

2) If you cannot do that, can you import selectively into two or more new databases, then compact and repair and, rejoin and continue from there?

Haven't got a db that size to try myself, but let me know how you get on as I can see one of mine getting to that size before too long and it would be useful to know the escape route in advance.

Best of luck

Tom

Thanks guys for reply

grnzbra,

It is the whole database that is over 2GB not just one table. I have bunch of tables, queries and reports.

Tom

I will try and let you know how it goes.

^^

Hrmmm... I tried Compact and repair but seems like the database is locked and nothing happens. Same for importing because I can't even get the prompt to show me the list.
I guess this is more serious then I thought. -_-
Should I upgrade it to SQL???
It seems like there could be some simple and easy solution
though...

I just ran my 97 over the 1 gig mark yesterday (1 gig is limit for 97) and had the same problem. What seemed to have worked was to open Access, but don't open a database. Then go through the process for compacting a database. You will be asked which one you want to compact and what you want to compact it into (thus creating another database). In my case, the process ran and it tried to open the original database and I got the nastygram telling me it wasn't going to work. But the database into which I told it to compact also existed. I'm going to check it today to see if the new one is good or is only partially there. Try it; it may just work. Then, when you get a chance, split off the data tables into their own databases and link to them. That way you get a 2gig limit for each table.

Grnzbra,

I tried but it does not work. Funny thing is I don't get any errors and the DB is is just not responding.
I shoulda split the DB long time ago.

I'm sorry that didn't work. I have no more ideas here.

Thanks so much for ur help tho, grnzbra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back