Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xoymas

Technical User
Jun 6, 2001
US
Hy guys I need help badly. I have a new PC with 1.2Ghz,266 ram,win2000 professional. The system was working fine untill I started it today and I got a massage that said.
"windows 2000 could not start bacause the following file is missing or corrupted \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMced startup options for windows 2000, press F8"
I did not do any startup diskett. I did use a utility called registry clean to clean the registry. Any Ideas will be appreciated.Thanks

I would guess that your registry cleaner has removed some important stuff. I have had the same thing happen to me before, and have had limited success trying to use the setup option to repair a windows 2000 installation. my guess is that the setup wont be able to find your install of win2k, and without an erd, you might be in for a total re-install of your os. i hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but unless someone has some great trick up thier sleeve,you might be in for a long night....

Well now I need to know how to reinstall win2000 again because all the options I chose pushing F8 didn't work. I hope you know how. Thanks

Running Winnt32.exe installs or upgrades Windows 2000.

On the setup CD for W2K Pro in the I386 directory.

The syntax of the Winnt32 command is as follows:

winnt32 [/s:sourcepath] [/tempdrive:drive_letter]
[/unattend[num]:[answer_file]] [/copydir:folder_name]
[/copysource:folder_name] [/cmd:command_line]
[/debug[level]:[filename]] [/udf:id[,UDF_file]]
[/syspart:drive_letter] [/checkupgradeonly]
[/cmdcons] [/m:folder_name] [makelocalsource]
[/noreboot]

See more detailed explanation at:
Look in the left pane - Products & Technologies\Windows 2000 Professional\Product Documentation\Windows 2000 Professional Getting started\Chapter 3 - Advanced Setup under paragraph Customizing Setup(Chapter 3)

You can make boot disks by using your W2K CD. Look in the BootDisk directory on the CD and launch Makebt32.exe. Have 4 clean, formatted floppies ready.

Thank you for the responce and I will try it.Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back