Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help getting started 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AalfaBob

Programmer
Jan 9, 2004
US
Ive been programming for about 1 and a half years now. I know 16-bit assembly, Qbasic, C, and the basics of many others including java and 32-bit assembly, and now I want to start programming C++ with DirectX.

Can any give me some links or helpful hints on how to get started. Like what compiler I should use or how long this might take to learn. Im trying to enter the gaming industry within the next 2 years. Thanks for your help

If you know C well then I personally found this a handicap on my road to C++ enlightenment. I reckon you would take 6 months to 1 year to get comfortable using C++. Then probably 2 years more to get really good at OOP in C++. DirectX took me almost a year to get comfortable with but I was trying to co-learn OpenGL at the same time.

Hi,
CodingNovice which did you like better and which did you use more openGl or DirectX.

Hi,
I recently started C++ myself, but I don't have a background in C. I've heard that it's hard to go from C to C++ (you may have to 'unlearn' some things), but if you have that much experience I'm sure you can master C++. I know that there is a good, free (yes good and free!) compiler you can get from . Now, I know that there are plenty of books out there on C++ but I suggest you get C++ programming in Easy Steps . (The "In Easy Steps" is a series similar to the 'for Dummies' books) It gives you a quick look at the basics. Then I suggest you get a really good book about the basics that teaches you all you need to know, then you can go from there. Please send me an e-mail at pauiel@yahoo.com if you thought this was helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back