Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help getting linked server to work using multiprotocol!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notaro

MIS
May 21, 2002
US
I'm trying to get two servers to connect via Linked servers using multiprotocol instead of TCP/IP. I can make a Server registration fine using the multiprotocol alias I created in Client Network Utility. I'm not sure how to fill out the linked server properties to make this work with Multiprotocol. It works fine with TCP/IP. Can anyone help?

I should add I'm trying to connect two sql 7 servers

Rebling,
Is it that you tried it and it is not working?
I do not see a problem otherwise, as long as you have the network library installed. There are not many property you need to concern yourself with. If you know the name of the server you want to link then go to the Secury folder of the server from which you would like to link, right click and add a new server. Use a remote login to connect to that server and you should be OK...

Thats what I think I'm doing and I'm getting login errors.

On the general tab of the Linked server properties, can I put whatever I want in the Linked Server name? For server type I selected Other Data source and picked Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server. Product name I have SQLServer OLEDB Provider. For Data source I have the name of the multiprotocol connection I created in the Client Network Utility. I have Data Access, RPC and RPC Out checked.

On the security tab I've tried all sorts of different combinations. I'm not sure what I need here exactly. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Rebling,
If you are linking another SQL Server server type should be "SQL Server"
For security, choose "remote login: " and "with password: ". Those ought to be the login used to connect to that server, i.e., if you were using Query Analyzer to work on that server you would be connecting using that login. It is already defined on the server. Assuming you are using SQL Server authentication.

Keep me posted on your progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back