Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help for small ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rde3

ISP
Aug 11, 2004
US
I am trying to figure out the least expensive way to put access in another town.....do I have to put a server in that town, or is there a way to get that call to my own server using some forwarding service ? I know that using call forwarding is not legal with Centurytel, which is my only phone company..... any help would be appreciated.

David

You only need to put a router w internet connection in the other town, but if you find a way to forward calls w/o costing a fortune please post it.

Does the same LEC/Telco serve both communities? If so, see if they will sell you something that some Telco's call Business Expansion Service, which is basically an FX number for another rate center pointed to your existing lines/trunks. If that's not available, you'd either need to place gear in that community or get some sort of FX lines (a T-1 from the other town's CO switch) to your existing facility. There's also larger ISP's and wholesalers out there (Level3 for example) that will sell you "virtual ISP" service in other communities.

You just need to establish a POP (point of presence). Worst case scenario would require you to colocate some type of switching setup with a portmaster of some sort. The easier way to do that is like Lundah said, have the telco set up access lines that simply carry over to your existing pop. Very simple, very legal, and will save you up front costs. Depends on if you're in the same LATA and all of that business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back