Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help for CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

riddlerd

Technical User
Apr 27, 2005
US
Hi,

I just started reading for CCNA exam and am reading Wendell Odom's Intro book. I have gone through the networking introduction and am now reading the actual configuration of cisco routers.

I am not understanding where to write the CLI commands for practice. Do I need to buy the CCNA lab package with two routers and all that stuff for preparing or is it sufficient for me to buy some software and simulate instead of buying the actual routers. If there is any software which is helpful please let me know.

Please advise.
Thanks in advance.

riddlerd,
Sims are great but it really helps to work on some real Cisco routers and switches.

Read back a few posts - this has been addressed many times.

Best place to buy is on Ebay, you can also rent time on "online stacks" and one of the members of this forum has a free stack online for use - check back previous posts and you will see his link.

here is one of the best sims for CCNA.

From -

Cisco CCNA Network Simulator (Exam 640-801)
Boson Software Inc
Cisco Press, Bk&CD edition,
Published July 2004,
ISBN 1587201313
List Price: $149.95
Our Price: $85.25
You Save: $64.70 (43% Off)

To both pass the exam and get a job working as a CCNA - hands on experience is a MUST !!!!!!!!

Paper CCNAs do not last long in the real world!

I hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

I would reccomend getting you hands on a couple of Cisco routers, a wise investment indeed! Simulators are ok, but they arent real. BOSON netsim is a good simulator to consider.
Ebay is a good place to pick up a couple of 2501 routers prices are lower than people think. Its cheaper than buying a good simulator.
As Ciscoguy mentioned I have free rack access click on the link below to find out more.

Visit for free Cisco rack access.

Thank you for the details. I shall try to look into the Boson software and also think about buying the actual routers.

I would also consider getting a switch too... 1900 are cheap on ebay ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back