Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Flashing Keyboard lights!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrismenzies

Technical User
Oct 2, 2003
GB
Can anyone help me?

I have a Windows 98 SE PC with a PS/2 keyboard. Every now and then, all the ilghts on the keyboard flash and I can no longer use the keyboard. This usally occurs if I am on the internet.

I have tried a different keyboard and rebooting the PC, but still the lights flash. The only way is to leave the PC switched on for a couple of hours and then the flashing stops.

Can anyone explain to me what is causing this to happen. It is very annoying, and at the moment I am having to use another PC to type this message.

All replies appreciated.

Regards

CRML

Weird.
Something may be "glitching" the mainboard's keyboard supply, typically mainboards have a fuse and filter net on the 5 volts that feeds the keyboard and ps2 mouse port. Besides the usual connector stuff, I have run into situations where this circuit has been overloaded or damaged, if the fuse was not plain blown (no keyboard or mouse at all,) the symptoms usually were strange keyboard operations.

Those video cameras of a few years back, the ones that tapped the keyboard cable for power, caused many such nightmares

Hi Cobolkid,
If the fuse is blown can it affect the keyboard and not the mouse or would it shut down both?

Kegman

Kegman,
Depends on the mainboard, some have seperate fuses for the mouse and keyboard ports.

also check the Bios for power management settings as some where "supposed" to flash the keyboard LED's when the system was in "Sleep Mode"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back