Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP FAST! I need to stop my CPU from powering down automatically 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jten

Technical User
Jan 14, 2001
US
What settings do you change to stop the CPU from powering down (turning off) after you click start and shut down? It is doing it automatically rather than getting the screen that says it is now safe to turn off the computer and I want to stop the automatic power off.

If you go into power management, then advanced it asks you what you want to do on (power management, you can go into your control panel and go into power management, or you can go into your display settings, screensaver, power management) it says, when i press my power button and has a drop down menu. Your choices are stand by or shut down.

All you need to do is hit stand by.

on some machines i wouldn't reccomend standby mode. Me and power management at this time are still scrapping.

vctoria[PM] ~read the instructions? instructions???!? whats that?!?~

Under power mgt mine says "Home/Office Desk", "Portable/LapTop", and "Always On". It does not have Standby. It was clicked "Always On"

Have you checked your power management in the BIOS? There should be a button (DEL,F1,F2, depends on your bios) you can press during startup that usually shows in the bottom left of your screen when powering up which will take you to CMOS (BIOS setup). Just a thought.....

BTW, I've never seen a laptop that didn't just power down on shutdown instead of showing the "it's safe to turn your computer off now" message. May I ask why you want it to power down this way? ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

you dont have the 'advanced tab' at the top of that box that it brigns up?

what op system?

vctoria[PM] ~read the instructions? instructions???!? whats that?!?~

Try clicking Start/ run/ then type msconfig.
When the Config window comes up. click on the Advanced button. Put a check mark in "Disable fast shutdown" Click ok to get out of the menus. It will ask you to reboot.
See if that doesn't help you out.
Good luck.

I ran the msconfig and under the advanced tab the Disable Fast Shutdown was already checked. So, I unchecked and checked. I am running Windows 98 on a desktop pentium III and no there is not an advanced tab at the top of my power management. And, the instructions say didly about this problem. It shut down normally with the .....it is now safe to turn off your computer.... until I changed to a larger monitor. Then without me changing any settings it began shutting down on its own. I have a problem with the power button and am currently leaving the computer on because until I correct this shut down problem I do not want to shut down the computer because I will not be able to turn it back on potentially unless I can control the on/off from a power strip. Too much detail for what I thought was a simple question.

I agree like what VCTORIA said, but I don't know why your OS does not have Advanced Tab, It's on the right side of Power Schemes under Power managerment Properties. Try it again Jten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back