Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Explain Terminal Services Licensing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkurzner

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2002
US
I am about to purchase 2 windows 2003 server computers. One of the servers is primarily designed to be a database server hosuing a the database of a proprietary application running on MySQL. Attached to that server will be several local clients running the proprietary application, etc. The second server is designed to be terminal services machine for remote users to connect to via dial up RAS, or VPN and run the proprietary application via terminal services. Sure they could connect via RAS and run the application as if they were local, but according to the vendor, it runs better as terminal services. Can anyone explain what I need in the way of Windows client licenses and terminal services licenses given the following: 1) I expect to have 5 to 10 people locally running the application and 5 to 10 different people running the application via terminal services. 2) What roadblocks are out there?

You'll need to purchase 10 Terminal Server User Licenses for Server 1 to cover the terminal services. You'll need 20 user licenses to connect to the server running the MySQL database.

I don't see any roadblocks out there. What you are doing on is fairly standard stuff. You can always call Microsoft with licensing questions. I've always found there 800 number folks to be very helpfull, honest and straight forward about what I should buy, and what I shouldn't buy. They haven't ever told me to buy more licenses then I actually needed.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Thanks for the quick answer. I read something about if a terminal services client (i.e. the remote computer connecting t the TS server) is running Windows that the license is not required? Is that the case?

Nope, you need a terminal server license no matter what OS the users workstation is running.

The only time you don't need to license terminal server is:
Windows 2000 - When using Remote Administration Mode
Windows 2003 - When using the built in Remote Desktop service (as oposed to installing the full blown Terminal Server)

In both these cases the Terminal Service only allows 2 users to connect at a time, and they must be administrators.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

I don't think that is true any longer. I had an in depth discussion on this with Microsoft Licensing a few months back. The end line was that if your client systems are running at least Windows 2000 Pro then they do not require TSCALS. TSCALS need to be purchsed for Pre 2000 clients.

Incidentally Citrix now requires Terminal Services to be running underneath it. I suspect this is the reason for the change of policy.

I do work for an educational establishment however so for your own peace of mind would recommend you double check with Microsoft Licensing team just in case commercial use is subject to different regulations.

The end line was that if your client systems are running at least Windows 2000 Pro then they do not require TSCALS. TSCALS need to be purchsed for Pre 2000 clients

This is only if they are connecting to a 2000 terminal server. If they are connecting to a 2003 terminal server, they need TS CALs. All types of clients connecting to 2003 terminal servers need TS CALs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back