Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Error - "The remote procedure call failed."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brice

Programmer
Dec 16, 2000
US
I have two dll's running in MTS on the server, one of which is called from the client, and a exe and dll on the client machine. As far as I can tell, I've installed the server dlls properly in MTS and I created a Setup package for the client using the PDW and installed successfully. The problem is that I am getting this error when the server dll is called by the client. The full error text is "Automation error The remote procedure call failed."

I checked in the Application Event Log on the server and the description it show is as follows (PackageName = the name of my MTS package):

A method on this interface has an unsupported data type. (Package: PackageName) (Method: 0) (Microsoft Transaction Server Internals Information File: d:\viper\src\runtime\cw\typelibinthlp.cpp, Line: 1286)

My guess is that it is starting up the package, but, for some reason cannot access the requested method for the object. Does that sound right? If so, any suggestions on what to look for to fix the problem?

What datatypes are you passing to your component? Make sure they're simple types (String, Int, Double, etc), and not something like an ADO recordset. Try building a test component that just uses the simple datatypes for starters.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can pass collections of simple types. Don't have my documentation in front of me, so I can't give you a definitave answer on this one.

Chip H.

Thanks, we did build a sort of prototype app with one server component/one method that returned a string. It worked fine.

This app, however, does return an ADO recordset from the server. I think I may have found a solution, though. The server dll's reference an ADO 2.5 recordset and I think we only have ADO 2.1 installed on the server. Does that sound logical? I'm wondering if I install 2.5 on the server if it will work.

Well, I guess I answered my own question. I installed ADO 2.5 on the server and BAM! everything works perfectly.

Thanks for the info anyway, chiph. The ADO recordset was something I hadn't considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back