Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help: Disappearing Modem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I've got a Swann Speed Demon 56K modem. I've installed the software for the modem in XP. And it can communicate with modem successfully.
But if I startup XP without first switching ON the modem. I cannot use dialup and it says modem not found. When I checked in Modem Options window... it says that modem 'not present'. so if I want to connect to the internet... I have to switch on the modem and goto component management and make XP scan my COM Port 1 to find the modem there and then dialup works.
But then if I startup XP with the modem switched ON then I don't have to do this... it detects the modem on com 1 and I'm able to dialup.
This is very annoying... cause in 98/ME... I didn't have to switch on the modem before starting up windows. when ever I wanted to connect to the net... I simply switched on the modem and used dialup.

XP seems to forget the modem is connected to com1 just because its not switched ON. The modem has already be setup and installed.

Has any one come across this problem.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanx

you don't have to restart your pc to detect your modem if you don't hav' it turn it on just add modem and let xp detect your old modem.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as switching on your modem before starting xp. On my system it will *never* find the modem. You need to go to the control panel, remove the "not connected" modem, hit the add button, and xp will tell you there is no modem. Cancel and hit the add button again, it will still tell you there is no modem, but it will then pop up a window on the systme tray telling you it has found one, and will install it in the background. I have to do this *every* time I start up my computer.

Yeah... similar probs here.... DAYOM irritating!! grr...!!!

I put Windows XP Pro on my Pc yesterday (migration from 2000), after many problems the system seemed pretty stable but then I noticed that I had my modem was not working..Anyway I got it working but when I rebooted the machine and tried to connect to the net it would not dial out ???? I removed the modem driver from the system and reinstalled, it then worked ??? I have to do this every time I start Windows and it's very annoying. I have a US Robotics 56k V90 External Modem. I'm thinking of getting a new modem and see if this solves any issues...but the modem worked fine in 2000...What can I do ????

If you get a new modem, make sure it's an internal one. External modem problems are a pain in XP... I get 'em myself... argg!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back