Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Diagnose --- Need Administrative Rights prompt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AccessGuruCarl

Programmer
Jul 3, 2004
US
Hello,

I'm trying to diagnose a small network issue of 5 computers running Win XP Pro.

An employee setup the 5th PC! So I'm aware what they have done!

Here is the senerio---
PC -(1) - Acts a file server. That has the C drive shared.
It's been in place and working fine for 2 computers that were networked and shared Quickbooks files. The 4th PC was used to access the interent, the 5th(new) was added and now the orginal 2 that used quickbook files, give's a prompt "Need Administrative Rights" when you try to use the program

Both logon accounts are admin... But I think the 5th(new) PC is causing this or is the fault of it.

You can browse the desktop, folders, ect... on the file server however you can't open any files!

Any idea's how to figure out what this guy did, or how to fix it.

F.Y.I. - Network uses a Linksys Router only, no special configurations or anything like that.

Thanks

AccessGuruCarl
Programmers helping programmers
you can't find a better site.

Look at things like Shared Permissions access and NTFS Access Permissions for that C: drive, make sure they are correct.

Is there a problem with any Licensing on Quickbooks, is it controlled by the number of User Licenses?

Are there any strange errors in the Event Viewers?

QB licensing is fine...

Company is running a Westall DSL Modem and Linksys 4 port wireless router.

Basically... Here's the story I got after going in to diagnose problem.

When the employee added the 5th PC(a wireless) to the 4 (wired) the orginal 2 PC that could connect were powered off. Which in my eyes it shouldn't make any difference! On bootup they get dymanic IP's and all accounts are Admin, I might be wrong though.

After adding the wireless, they lost internet access(DSL).
He contacted Westall support, and they got him up and running.(Internet) Employee naturally assumed if the internet was restored then so was the network.

Now his PC has full access to the PC with the QB files, and all other shares on that PC and any others on the network. Were as the orginal 2 PC can browse some of the folders on the QB PC --- but not the one's that really matter. Strange! which wasn't noticed until the following Monday when the users tried accessing the files. And the employee couldn't remember everything he had tried!

What I noticed when browsing Network was that on the QB PC the logon name is 'User', when accessing through the network this folder is named User.Windows

I'm assuming that when the employee tried running the network setup wizard, and that didn't work he tried changing the permissions, he even tried creating 3 different shares of the C: drive...

I also noticed that the format for sharing is more like Win 2k instead of XP on the QB PC, Giving a Permissions, Caching and New Share Buttons.

What would have made those changes?

And when clicking permissions --
Add -- Only the Everyone is listed!
Where did all the other accounts go...
I manually added -- Network and gave them full access, but this didn't resolve it.

Checked settings in Modem & Router... It appeared as if they were both trying to assign DHCP... Contacted Westall to check settings... They were wrong! We configured the modem for connection only, and let the linksys handle the PPPoE and DHCP of the remaining PC...

Double checked firewalls.... Not an issue!

Still didn't work....

System Restore was turned off, So I suggested to try a Repair... If all else Re-Install

Any Ideas....

AccessGuruCarl
Programmers helping programmers
you can't find a better site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back